D&D General Doomsday Weapons?

Ok, so this idea just popped into my head: A circular-sawblade shaped device that continually expands its diameter as long as it is spinning horizontally, but requires no additional energy to rotate its additional mass and having no additional difficulties balancing. Its growth follows the curvature of whatever planet it is on. After a few miles of expansion the sawteeth will be moving many times the speed of sound, only slowing once they pass the equator. Left going long enough it will eventually meet itself at the opposite pole at which point the sawteeth will lock together and expansion will stop.

Coroc

Hero
Did anyone of you see the last part of the cloverfield series? The one with the parallel earth?

Specifically the end scene (spoiler:)

The mob at the end is some kind of Godzilla, but seems to be several kilometres high. Now that would be a doomsday mob that could eat Tarasques for breakfast.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Care to elaborate a bit please, is this antimatter? Is this stable? Does this exist IRL?

Yep, it is antimatter. It is stable, if left by itself or with other antimatter. It goes boom if it contacts normal matter.

Does it exist in real life? Well, not in any significant amounts naturally anywhere we can see. It can (and has) been created in laboratories, but... it is hard to contain. The usual ways of containing the small amounts of antimatter we can make is with magnetic and electric fields - that works with an anti-proton or a positron (anti-electron), because they have an electric charge. Anti-hydrogen has no net electric charge, which makes it much harder to handle it with magnetic fields.

Coroc

Hero
Yep, it is antimatter. It is stable, if left by itself or with other antimatter. It goes boom if it contacts normal matter.

Does it exist in real life? Well, not in any significant amounts naturally anywhere we can see. It can (and has) been created in laboratories, but... it is hard to contain. The usual ways of containing the small amounts of antimatter we can make is with magnetic and electric fields - that works with an anti-proton or a positron (anti-electron), because they have an electric charge. Anti-hydrogen has no net electric charge, which makes it much harder to handle it with magnetic fields.

Thanks, so i assume you need very strong magnetic fields then (i think everything is magnetic somehow if the field is strong enough)?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks, so i assume you need very strong magnetic fields then (i think everything is magnetic somehow if the field is strong enough)?

Yes, you can play games with very strong fields. Not that anyone has had to do much of this - it isn't like someone has a quart of anti-hydrogen sitting around in a containment facility somewhere.

The mob at the end is some kind of Godzilla, but seems to be several kilometres high. Now that would be a doomsday mob that could eat Tarasques for breakfast.

That sounds kind of like Serpentera from Power Rangers (Lord Zedd's killer robot that was ten times the size of the Megazord (but kept running out of gas before he could destroy the world with it, which in turn reminds me a bit of the GWAR song "The Reaganator"))

Zardnaar

Legend
I had a couple ideas. Although none that I've actually used in campaigns.

1.) The Ad-Infinitum Cannon- A device that would siphon conceptual infinity out of the Grand Abyss (the huge literally bottomless pit at the center of the first layer of the Abyss) and focus it into an infinitely powerful energy beam capable of firing between planes and utterly destroying anything that it's aimed at. Basically a combination of Starkiller Base from Star Wars 7 and the Ad-Infinitum Siphons from the game Afterlife. The campaign would focus on the varying factions vying for control of it as its being built and the varying factions trying to stop it from being built; this last category would include various demons who want to stop it due to its potential to end all the fighting.

2.) Proper, movie style zombies that create spawn, carry deadly disease, can take ridiculous amounts of punishment, and sometimes suddenly move fast for a moment instead of their usual slow gait.

3.) A flesh colossus with a sibriex for a head

4.) Tungsten rods dropped from a spelljamming vessel in the upper atmosphere

5.) An SCP-Society-esque cult that steals all the magic stuff and in doing so plunges the world into conditions reminiscent of the real medieval period

6.) A fleet of seven spelljamming ships, each bearing a figurehead in the shape of a dragon, collectively rigged with an apparatus that duplicates the means by which Tiamat stole Krynn from its original crystal sphere.

7.) The Temple of Elemental Evil's bottom floor reimagined as some kind of evil reverse version of the temple from The Fifth Element that is capable of firing a death ray when activated by the correct ritual

I'll post more when I'm less tired and more coherent

It's D&D Adamantine rods not tungsten.

I think the velocity alone is similar to a nuclear bomb when it hits.

They actually planned that out but getting a 20 ton rod into orbit and aiming it are impractical.

Remove ads