D&D General Doomsday Weapons?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
How about a combination grey-goo/midas-touch scenario?

A botched attempt to create the Philosopher's Stone leads to an uncontrolled chain reaction: Anything the stone comes into contact with turns to gold, and anything that comes into contact with something the stone is touching also turns to gold. Anything touching the secomd object turns to gold as well, and so on, and so on, as long as an unbroken chain leading back to the stone exists. Left unchecked, this will rapidly convert the entire planet into gold.

This would be a great way to become rich and destroy your enemies at the same time. An enemy from another world could launch at your planet then watch the mayhem as people at first fight over the gold, then realize their error as their world is slowly converted into gleaming, yellow metal one square mile at a time.

An idea hit me as I was trying to go to sleep last night, the "Black Door", a portal to the Plane of Vacuum so big it sucks a world's atmosphere away, destroying all life on the planet.

I like this, its like a combination of the premises Bzallin's Blacksphere (Dungeon Magazine #64) and Spaceballs

A Decanter of Endless Water in the hands of an animated skeleton with a permanent Magic Mouth spell. At 30 gallons a round, the world will be flooded...eventually.

butters1_1206.jpg

Coroc

Hero
A Decanter of Endless Water in the hands of an animated skeleton with a permanent Magic Mouth spell. At 30 gallons a round, the world will be flooded...eventually.

In "world of tiers", a great trilogy by Phillip Jose Farmer about a fantasy world with many portals, which can take all sorts of shapes and require all sorts of portal keys (I am very convinced the people inventing planescape did take loads of inspiration from that books), they drowned an enemy stronghold by submerging a one way portal into an endless ocean.

I really have to reread this one it is so long ago I read it. I believe one of the portals was a bass trumpet and the key was to play a certain melody. I remember for sure that it was big fun to read.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I like this, its like a combination of the premises Bzallin's Blacksphere (Dungeon Magazine #64) and Spaceballs

I did have Spaceballs in mind, but I was thinking how to redo it in a more horror/fantasy style. Thinking about the vacuum that sucked away a planet's air made me think of the Plane of Vacuum as described in the Planescape setting and its planar portals. So the question is, how big would a portal have to be to suck a planet's atmosphere away and how long would it take?

Remove ads