Doorway fighting

keterys

First Post
Sure. Actually, keeping your casters separated from the other side was even more important back then.

The trick is that PCs often have better ranged capability than the monsters.

I do remember something similar happening, and doing an attack and then closing the door once (as a monster), but honestly... I almost always think in terms of multiple entrances/exits, combats triggering other combats (like that sound makes the next two rooms open up and investigate), combats only happening once PCs get into a certain point that it just doesn't matter, or combats where the PCs really want to get into a room (disable a ritual, get away from an environmental effect, etc)

WalterKovacs

First Post
It does depend a bit on the party's makeup as well. I was an Avenger in the party, and actualy had the opposite problem. With a bad iniative roll (I was an Int/Wis before all the Wis based init feats) I'd either be stuck next to the defender unable to get oath benefit, or in the second row making ranged attacks.

Ayup.

I find myself wondering how much of this issue is due to the prevalence of MMOs, with monsters that can reliably be drawn in to the ambush by leaping out and yelling "Look at me, I'm a target!" Do people remember seeing similar tactics back in pre-MMO days? Grognards, care to weigh in?

Yeah, since fighters weren't sticky it was a great way to defend. Most groups I ran would try to stand in the doorway, or now and then pull back and try to get the monsters to come out. Basically the same considerations applied, except it was MUCH worse to have someone hit you from behind in AD&D. So the cleric would usually keep an eye out while the fighter bashed, the wizard blasted, and the rogue sniped. Maybe the 2nd fighter/ranger/whatever would take up the guard duty.

4e actually has it easier in a way, there are a lot more disabling conditions and techniques for moving a pc out of a door. I think it is actually a less useful tactic now, but still common. Oddly my current group rarely does it. I usually have monsters show up in reasonably open areas. We also play with maptool and OFTEN you find that the PCs can't actually SEE the monsters. They may not get surprised by them, but often they have to enter an area just to tell what all is there, unless it is a small chamber or something. I didn't make sunrods too easy to get either, though I haven't kept good track of them either... In any case, grab is your friend, amongst other things.

Remove ads