• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Double dipping art

You weren't imagining it. There may have been other instances, but I primarily remember them doing this with their AD&D Trading Cards line. Art that clearly depicted a character from a module or novel was frequently re-used for a completely new character on a card.

I feel like I was annoyed by TSR doing this a couple times in the 2e era, but I can’t remember the specific irritants, so maybe I just imagined it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
To me, RPG interior art is worth a few moments of appreciation if good, a few minutes and the occasionally stop while paging by if great, and much consternation if it's either bad or I feel it's wrong. Like 5e halflings - one of my favorite everyman races turned into such the caricature. Oh, and if it's consistent and non-generic, it helps set a tone while reading which is actually a bigger deal then many of the individual pieces. That said, that still more eyeball time per square inch then most non-reference writing, which I will likely read but once. (Oh, reference art gets even more time - that's a bigger deal for me.)

I haven't played M:tG in decades, but a lot of the art was quite good. I'm glad I'm getting a chance to see it. So it doesn't feel like I was sold it twice. And even if I had bought it in both formats, it's different formats. It's like complaining if you buy a movie poster that you already have the movie so you're getting charged twice, even if they are in different formats.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
What @Riley said. If the art is good and appropriate to its location in the product, and if the artist is being fairly compensated, it's perfectly fine by me.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I feel like I was annoyed by TSR doing this a couple times in the 2e era, but I can’t remember the specific irritants, so maybe I just imagined it.

Otherwise, if the art is good and appropriate to its location in the product, I’m fine with it.

I remembered the one and only book that really annoyed me in this manner: 1988’s Greyhawk Adventures.
That thing is full of misused, recycled art.

Errol Otus’s wonderful “Rain of Colorless Fire” used to illustrate a spell called “Meteors.”* Lots of A1-4 Slavelord-specific images used for new things, and often just as random (and seemingly-irrelevant) filler.

It’s so distracting, I’ve hardly read the thing in the almost-30-years it has sat on my shelf.

(I do love the Bigby’s Hand spell variants in the book, though.)

*: Meteors, sadly, does not do this:

Attachments

• 97091A0D-20BE-450D-A17A-41DF9F83FCC6.jpeg
    97091A0D-20BE-450D-A17A-41DF9F83FCC6.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 58

Remove ads