D&D 5E Double Spell Concentration.

For the sake of argument, imagine that you're a level 11 chronurgist wizard with the Arcane Abeyance class feature and a familiar that can activate + concentrate on a 4th level spell of your choice while you concentrate on your own. What 2 concentration spells you run concurrently?

BONUS: You've got contingency in your arsenal and are looking for the perfect set up. What do you use?
1665337145189.png

Horwath

Legend
Since this is probably THE most powerful wizard ability in game, and I would not want to strain DM with 2 too much mechanics, I would keep it simple.

2×summon aberration, beholder, 4 attacks from 150ft.

what is better than an attack drone? Two attack drones!

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Probably greater invisibility and either polymorph (for buffing an ally) or one of the (numerous) "summon" spells at this level (summon aberration has already been mentioned, but there's also summon construct, summon elemental, and summon greater demon.

If trying to avoid DM wrath, then greater invisibility + sickening radiance. Invisibility makes you essentially impossible to target, so maintaining concentration is a breeze, and sickening radiance is a NASTY control spell. If you can keep people inside its range for the full 10 min duration, it is essentially a guaranteed kill no matter what the creature might be, because 10 minutes is 100 rounds and you only need six levels of exhaustion to instantly die. (With 3 levels of exhaustion, you have disadvantage on all saves, so even targets that succeed on all but a 1 have a reason to fear.)

I'd have the Familiar cast Haste on me, and take advantage of having an extra action on the first turn to send them to their pocket dimension where they can't lose concentration. Then I'd do whatever I wanted, though I'd make sure that at least one time I'd cast Shadow Blade at 5th level, and go to town on the enemies Booming Blading them with my action and making a regular attack with my extra Haste action all with a 4d8 psychic blade, because it's fun to (roughly) match the Bladesinger at Bladesinging and have it just be a hobby.

delph

Explorer
I'd have the Familiar cast Haste on me, and take advantage of having an extra action on the first turn to send them to their pocket dimension where they can't lose concentration. Then I'd do whatever I wanted, though I'd make sure that at least one time I'd cast Shadow Blade at 5th level, and go to town on the enemies Booming Blading them with my action and making a regular attack with my extra Haste action all with a 4d8 psychic blade, because it's fun to (roughly) match the Bladesinger at Bladesinging and have it just be a hobby.
How can your familiar cast haste? Common familiar from find familiar can't do that.

I feel like the idea of 2 summons + spamming cantrips would be pretty helpful in combat. I was also imagining haste + polymorph into a giant ape for 3 hefty attacks per round. With mage armor up and the +2 AC from haste, you'd have an AC 17 too, making it less likely that you'll have to make concentration checks. I suppose an expensive concentration insurance policy would be to have contingency ready to re-activate one of the 2 spells if it every drops from a reason you don't like.

delph

Explorer
I feel like the idea of 2 summons + spamming cantrips would be pretty helpful in combat. I was also imagining haste + polymorph into a giant ape for 3 hefty attacks per round. With mage armor up and the +2 AC from haste, you'd have an AC 17 too, making it less likely that you'll have to make concentration checks. I suppose an expensive concentration insurance policy would be to have contingency ready to re-activate one of the 2 spells if it every drops from a reason you don't like.
there is small bonus that you are using Giant Ape constitution

Remove ads