• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Downer Summary

Erratic K

First Post
I promised a summary of the Downer comic in this thread:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88943

When I went to do it, I noticed that it was more difficult than I first thought. A few sentences could sum it up, but really a plot summary is quite involved as there are quite a few nuances.

To do it justice, I got out the series, read it and began to make notes on the salient points. The unedited result for the first three comics is below. I'll continue if it is worth it to anybody.

I like the comic and think it is funny, post modern (in the self referential sense) and generally well done. The art is of a comic style I can appreciate.

If anyone wants more summary, I'd be happy to do it, but perhaps I should test the water first. If Erik Mona, Kyle Hunter or the dungeon staff either a) want a copy or b) have a problem with the summary, they can contact me here.

-E

Erratic K

First Post
pt one

Downer is by Kyle Hunter. Kyle did interior art on the Revised Star Wars Handbook by WOTC and Crooks! by Green Ronin. Downer first appears in the may 03 issue of Dungeon/Polyhedron.

Dungeon 98 is the first after the merge (so it has a Polyhedron number as well and technically it appears Downer appeared in Poly, but has continued on in Dungeon after the demise of Polyhedron). For issue 98 Erik Mona is the editor of Poly and Chris Thomasson is the editor of Dungeon. This aligns with the 3.5 E retro fit, the new Adventure path is already running.

Anyway Downer:

Dungeon 98: The spine notes this as "Downer: the Origin"

A party is entering a cave. A little demon (an imp) taunts them, the Bard from the party rushes the little demon. Downer, a Dark Elf with small wings and a bad attitude, fires his bow and critical hits the bard with a arrow through the neck. The party pursues the dark elf. While the party chases, Downer triggers a trap for them and ducks through a door.
Downer believes he has ducked into saftey, instead he is attacked from behind, by a choker inquiring about a password. Downer triggers a switch for the small wings on his back, and little blades pop out of the wings, severing the stranglers fingers. The choker sulks away, as Downer swears that inspite of working 23 years here, it all ends right here. Tagget the halfling rogue and Astrid the Elf (from the adventuring party) corner Downer but Downer turns the tables as he takes Astrid hostage.

Erratic K

First Post
pt 2: The professionals

Dungeon 99: part two: the professionals

Some narration that reveals the back story (group of adventurers have descended in to the lair of a beholder, a drow guard named downer has managed to split the party after apparently killing the group's bard). Part of the party is embroiled with hobgoblins and their mage wisks them away magically.

Meanwhile, Downer discovers the halfling is also a member of the union- when the halfling attempts to break the standoff by negotiating in theives cant. Downer releases Astrid the elf when he learns that Tagget and he are in the same guild. Astrid fires magic missiles at Downer (that fail to penetrate his spell resistance). Downer advises the two to climb down the well- as reinforcements will be coming for Downer soon. He kisses a shocked Astrid and then sends them down the well (Astrid appears to be saying she is number one or flipping the bird to Downer).

At that moment another drow and a bugbear (or the like) show up with the little demon who says the boss, beloved lord Manglecramps would like to see Downer. They tease him that they saw the smooch by saying he's been hard up since downer's "old lady kicked it".

Erratic K

First Post
pt III: Eye Boogers

Dungeon 100: Part III: Eye Boogers (2 page spread)

Some narration reveals that Downer is led deeper into the underdark by the beholder's henchman, questioning his loyalty. Downer's patience has already worn thin. Some discussion occurs, it is revealed Downer was the commander of the south wing's guard. Lord Manglecramps is indeed a beholder and is annoyed at Downer for allowing his guards to die and apparently Manglecramps risked something to help Downer because of Downer's glorious past. Manglecramps regrets helping Downer. Downer replies that he wants to quit and get paid out.

The other drow (Aristede as we will find out), begins to manifest magic, threatens Downer and his "gnomish wings" (meaning mechanical?) and offers to give him a tast of Lolth's wrath. So Downer stabs him with his sword. The drow remarks the Downer couldn't be trusted, and the little demon says he's a been out of control since that skanky medusa was killed" (Is that Downer's lost love?).

Manglecramps then orders Malok (the bugbear?) to smash Downer good.

Meanwhile the dwarf, human fighter and mage part of the party are waiting on the mage. The mage has scryed upon Downer leading them to the Beholder's lair. They plan to dimension door in and get ridd of the aberration, according to the will of the wardens of carceri.

Erratic K

First Post
pt 4: Labor Pains

Dungeon 101: IV: Labor Pains

Some introductory text explains the following, Downers exit interview is interrupted by a a party of adventurers inadvertantly lead to the Beholder boss Manglecramps. The adventurers some how represent the the wardens of the inescapable prison world of Carceri.

Anyway, Malok the bugbear is trying to clobber the shifty Downer. At the same time, Manglecramps narrowly misses while firing a ray from an eyestalk Downer. Meanwhile, right behind the beholder the fighter dwarf and monk/mage Diminsion Door in. The mystery mage tells Manglecramps that "he has vviolated his last infernal contract" and that Manglecramps is "to spend the next 500 years blasted by the stinging grit of Minethys!". The Fighter and Mage engage an incredulous Manglecramps while Downer remarks that maybe he isn't the first employee Manglecramps has dealt with unfairly.

Manglecramps offers to Double Downers pay, Downer reiterates his final notice. The Dwarf (who has a flintlock or like firearm) blasts the beholder, as Manglecramps returns fire with an eye ray. The Fighter engages Malok letting the bugbear know he is messing with the Celestial Bureaucracy. Sensing defeat and wanting to change to the winning side, the imp remarks that, "They have come for ulolok, I warned them it was trouble" and promptly either illusions or disguises himself as Astrid the Elf. The Dwarf appears to be disintegrated by the ray Manglecramps fired, but drops his gun before disappearing. The Mage is enraged as Manglecramps taunts him, asking if he is sure the bounty hunter can take him. Downer remarks he is going to clean out his desk...

Dungeon 102: missing Downer

Dungeon 103: superdeformed Downer appears at Table of Contents saying, "This is an outrage Downer will appear in Dungeon 104."

Erratic K

First Post
no title... downer episode 5 though

Dungeon 104: The story so far... (no more numerals but it should be 5)

In the intro we find out that the mage is really Serjenko the tiefling warrior-priest (oops wrong about the mage bit... guess I'll fix this in the edited version) who is leading the agents of the prison plane Carceri on an incursion. The dwarven musketeer was vaporized, Downer struck down a rival drow and the fight goes on...

The Fighter and the bugbear continue their battle mace versus sword. Downer blames the imp accusing him that his disguise (as Astrid) won't fool anyone. The imp scoffs at Downer resuming his disquise taunting Downer that ulolok will serve the imp. The fighter trades blows with the bugbear. Then finally after some grappling the fighter and his sword get the better of his mace weilding foe.

Serjenko (formerly the mage), commends the fighter, but reminds him that they must still overcome the Beholder. The Fighter puffs out his reply that he will join the fight in a moment, while behind him, Aristede (the other Drow) appears out of the darkness with a wicked blade. The blade passes through the fighters abdomen as Aristede promises that Downer is next. Serjenko casts a sspell and launches himself through the air and punches Manglecramps through his central eye. Downer gets in the last word that the union will hear about this...

Remove ads