Download Critical Role’s New RPG Quickstart

Free guide to Candela Obscura, powered by the new Illuminated Worlds system

The QuickStart rules for Critical Role’s upcoming game, Candela Obscura, powered by their new Illuminated Worlds system, is available as a free download in advance of the livestream of the game which starts this week.

IMG_9205.jpeg

Candela Obscura (bestowed the hashtag #CandelaObscura) is a new tabletop roleplaying game that places you in the roles of investigators working for an esoteric order. In this game of gothic horror, individuals of varied talents are brought together under the organization Candela Obscura. You’ll pursue strange occurrences and encounter dangerous magicks, fighting back against a mysterious source of corruption and bleed. Candela Obscura is the first to use the Illuminated Worlds System, a newly designed system that uses 6-sided dice and lends itself to narrative, arc-driven play.

darjr

I crit!
IMG_7608.jpeg

You’re needed, investigators: join the secret society Candela Obscura to confront occult horrors from beyond, keeping hidden the true nature of magickal incursions besetting our world. This quickstart guide takes you on a journey through the new tabletop roleplaying game Candela Obscura as featured in the new monthly anthology series on Critical Role’s Twitch and YouTube channels!

The full Candela Obscura Core Rulebook will come out in late 2023, but start playing today with this free quickstart guide!

Last edited:

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
Oh look its “not” blades in the dark…just what we need. How is the narrative style of FITD going to work with the GM heavy style of CR? Seems like a weird choice.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Anyone else reading the Quickstart? There seems to be a lot of basic things entirely missing. Like how do attacks work? Does the GM roll dice for NPCs? How much damage can a monster cause per hit? How much damage can a monster take before being taken out? How do PCs overcome obstacles? One success, multiple successes, clocks, marks? GM moves are referenced but not explained. I get it’s a quickstart, but most people won’t be able to run a game from this document. I’m good running games without rules and/or making it up as I go, but a lot of people are not.

darjr

I crit!
Anyone else reading the Quickstart? There seems to be a lot of basic things entirely missing. Like how do attacks work? Does the GM roll dice for NPCs? How much damage can a monster cause per hit? How much damage can a monster take before being taken out? How do PCs overcome obstacles? One success, multiple successes, clocks, marks? GM moves are referenced but not explained. I get it’s a quickstart, but most people won’t be able to run a game from this document. I’m good running games without rules and/or making it up as I go, but a lot of people are not.
Does the video help?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads