D&D 5E Downsides to Mounted Combat?

Uller

Adventurer
In thinking about it some more I think we played it a littlebit incorrectly.

With a controlled mount, its init becomes the rider's init. But I thibk they still act separately. The way we were playing it the rider's speed effectively became 80...so he could move, attack, move (up to 160' total since the mount "dashed").

But if the mount and rider act as separate characters then the rider starting at a distance has to allow his mount to act first and choose one of the mount's actions (dash, disengage or dodge). Let's say he chooses dodge. Then the mount moves up to its speed and closes the distance to where the rider can attack. Then its turn ends. Now the rider acts and attacks. But he can't move away unless he dismounts.

Now his foe can attack. Next turn if the rider wishes to move away he can have the mount "disengage". But if the DM wants to be a real stickler he could say the mount has to go first...

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Mounted combat was almost allways better than non mounted. At least in clear even terrain.

That is why cavalry decimated non-cavalry on open ground.

But in DUNGEONS! & Dragons mount is not practical 95% of the time.

Underground caverns, swamps, dense forests, rocky hills, mountain passes, snow, jungle, narrow city streets,

anything except open plains and well mantained roads are death for any cavalry or mounted combat.

A flying mount is even better, pretty much everywhere but underground.

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
It's your son...I wouldn't be looking for too many angles to ruin his fun.

He's 19, in college and traing to be an army officer.. I think he'll be okay....besides...he doesnt take it easy on me in sports so crushing him in table top games is all I have...

Once we are back to our regular game I don't think it'll be an issue. Especially if I make it so the mount acts/moves and then he acts (or vice versa).

And yeah...I can see how multiple attacks can just be simulating a single strike.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
In thinking about it some more I think we played it a littlebit incorrectly.

With a controlled mount, its init becomes the rider's init. But I thibk they still act separately. The way we were playing it the rider's speed effectively became 80...so he could move, attack, move (up to 160' total since the mount "dashed").

But if the mount and rider act as separate characters then the rider starting at a distance has to allow his mount to act first and choose one of the mount's actions (dash, disengage or dodge). Let's say he chooses dodge. Then the mount moves up to its speed and closes the distance to where the rider can attack. Then its turn ends. Now the rider acts and attacks. But he can't move away unless he dismounts.

Now his foe can attack. Next turn if the rider wishes to move away he can have the mount "disengage". But if the DM wants to be a real stickler he could say the mount has to go first...

Only if he doesn’t think to use the Ready Action. What a mounted combatant should do is act before his mount. On his turn, he Readies the Attack Action with the trigger being “when I’m in range of my target.” Then on the mount’s turn, it uses the Dash, Dodge, or Disengage Action, moves within range of the target triggering the rider’s Readied Attack Action, and then uses the rest of its movement to retreat.

Uller

Adventurer
Only if he doesn’t think to use the Ready Action. What a mounted combatant should do is act before his mount. On his turn, he Readies the Attack Action with the trigger being “when I’m in range of my target.” Then on the mount’s turn, it uses the Dash, Dodge, or Disengage Action, moves within range of the target triggering the rider’s Readied Attack Action, and then uses the rest of its movement to retreat.
But then he only gets one attack, which is a very fair trade off, I think. That's what I primarily want with any useful tactic...trade offs and reasonable counter tactics. I think requiring mount and rider to act separately does that. Maybe. Hopefully.

Charlaquin

But then he only gets one attack, which is a very fair trade off, I think. That's what I primarily want with any useful tactic...trade offs and reasonable counter tactics. I think requiring mount and rider to act separately does that. Maybe. Hopefully.

I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to use both attacks. The action he prepares with Ready is the Attack Action, and thanks to Extra Attack, he can attack twice when he takes the Attack Action. The only drawback is that it burns his Reaction.

Uller

Adventurer
I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to use both attacks. The action he prepares with Ready is the Attack Action, and thanks to Extra Attack, he can attack twice when he takes the Attack Action. The only drawback is that it burns his Reaction.
According to sage advice extra attack only works on your turn. So you only get one attack....in my group we generaly don't play it that way...but that seems to be RAW. Multiattack for monsters seems less clear (which is why we juat say everyone gets their full complimwnt of attacks on a ready)

Charlaquin

According to sage advice extra attack only works on your turn. So you only get one attack....in my group we generaly don't play it that way...but that seems to be RAW. Multiattack for monsters seems less clear (which is why we juat say everyone gets their full complimwnt of attacks on a ready)

Ahh, foiled again by Sage Advice. Curse you, Jeremy Crawfooooooord!!!!

In all seriousness though, that sounds like it should provide a decent drawback for you, between the Attack limit and the Reaction. Best of luck!

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

Indeed, Sage Advice is just repeating what the book says. And though you cannot use multiattack for an opportunity attack, you can for a readied action (by the book).

Remove ads