Level Up (A5E) Downtime and crafting with tools

Ok so one of my players wants to spend downtime making poison.

Now. I know downtime allows for 2 items able to be crafted in a week from equipment and tools.

On the other hand. Poisoners kit allows for harvesting on a hour by hour basis.

How would you handle 1 week spent making these basic advanced or potent poisons? Same may apply to using an herbalist kit to gather items during downtime

Faolyn

(she/her)
I would assume that this is a case of specific (the rules for the poisoner's kit) beating the general crafting rules. But I would also limit it to one use per day, or potentially half PB uses per day, unless you don't mind your PC making eight vials of poison per day.

However, I would also limit this to to the type of poisons listed in the kit's description (basic, advanced, and potent), and if you wanted to make a "named" poison like the types in o5e (drow poison, malice, oil of taggit, etc.), then you use the crafting rules.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
it looks like the t&t poisons all list rarity is there a reason that they can't/shouldn't use the crafting rules & times on T&T348-351 since (I think) that would cover potions too?
1655867477193.png

Well the poisons listed under common poisons aren't that vicious (Basic: DC12 2d4 DMG, Advanced: DC 13 2d6 DMG, Potent DC 14 2d8 DMG) with high enough find DCs to prevent them from being abused by low level characters I would likely allow one check to do a full 8 hour search, but limit it to 4 vials per 8 hours of downtime to simulate that the character may need to travel as part of that searching.

Here is what I am going to use for poisons and I am working on a similar option for medicinals and health potion gathering:

One roll for the week dc 15.
Failure by 5+: you find nothing. No chance for poisoning in downtime because resolution seems pointless
Failure by less than 5: you gather 1/2 of baseline.
Success (baseline): you gather and produce an amount of basics equal to 1/2 your prof bonus per day. So for one week for a level 1 character, this can net 7 basic poisons
Success by 5+: you can trade out two basics for one advanced
Success by 10+: you can trade out 4 basics for one Potent.

Remove ads