D&D 5E Downtime XP farming with animate dead or conjuration spells

Sadras

Legend
No size is specified for a component pouch, only a weight. By the rules as written the pouch can hold an infinite supply of components of any size.

You are making up D&D rules.

Absolute Rubbish. If there is anyone on this thread making up D&D rules it is you.

Page 153 of the PHB very clearly states that the Container Capacity of a pouch is 1/5 cubic foot/6 pounds of gear. If the corpse intended to be kept in a component pouch is that small have at it, but there is nothing infinite about that.

pnewman

Adventurer
Absolute Rubbish. If there is anyone on this thread making up D&D rules it is you.

Page 153 of the PHB very clearly states that the Container Capacity of a pouch is 1/5 cubic foot/6 pounds of gear. If the corpse intended to be kept in a component pouch is that small have at it, but there is nothing infinite about that.

No, that is the capacity of a "pouch" Those cost 0.5 GP and weigh 1 lb. In contrast a "component pouch" costs 25 GP and wighs 2 lb. No size or weight limits are listed for it. Specific beats general. You may not extrapolate the capacity of a "component pouch" from the capacity of a "pouch".

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, that is the capacity of a "pouch" Those cost 0.5 GP and weigh 1 lb. In contrast a "component pouch" costs 25 GP and wighs 2 lb. No size or weight limits are listed for it. Specific beats general. You may not extrapolate the capacity of a "component pouch" from the capacity of a "pouch".
Um, yes you can. The spell component POUCH is a pouch for a reason, and not say a sack. You don't get to change it from a pouch to a sack large enough to fit a body without changing the item itself. If you're going to call it a pouch, you are limited to what a pouch can fit.

You might be able to pull a hand or foot out of a spell component pouch, but not a head or full body. The opening and pouch size simply won't fit something that large.

pnewman

Adventurer
Um, yes you can. The spell component POUCH is a pouch for a reason, and not say a sack. You don't get to change it from a pouch to a sack large enough to fit a body without changing the item itself. If you're going to call it a pouch, you are limited to what a pouch can fit.

Citation needed.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Citation needed.
@Sadras gave the citation. Anything further you are going to have to do yourself. I don't bang my head into brick walls. If the game uses a term defined by the game, for example pouch, then it will follow those rules unless it specifically states otherwise.............and the spell component pouch doesn't say otherwise.

Anyway, have fun playing with your particular and in my opinion nonsensical manner. If you and your players are having fun playing that way, you are doing something right.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Oofta

Legend

Maybe he's talking about Animate Mouse?

Sadras

Legend

The component pouch is described as being watertight and which has many compartments whereas a standard pouch does not. Hence the increase in cost and weight.

You are right no size and weight limits are specified for the component pouch specifically but I doubt the 5e designers were imagining a person of sound mind would being attempting to store 99.9% of a corpse within a component pouch.

However to challenge your stupendiously trollish-like idea, I will point out that the designers did use the word small to describe the pouch and the fact that it is a belt pouch gives one the idea that space within would have be limiting. I mean honestly what pouch hangs from one's belt that is infinite in size and able to carry corpses?

But honestly I feel this post of mine has been in vain as by logic alone I must declare thee a troll.
And I'm done.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
Irrelevant. All that means is that the sword barely nicked someone. A nick from a greatsword is equal to half the possible damage from a dagger. As a weapon, the greatsword does more damage. If both land a solid hit, the dagger won't be able to compare to the greatsword.
Yet the Personal stats can overshadow the differences in weapon damage dice. Especially when the average of both is already one-shoting any average peasant.

So conclusion would be that both kill with one hit and anything else is inconclusive since dead is dead

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yet the Personal stats can overshadow the differences in weapon damage dice. Especially when the average of both is already one-shoting any average peasant.

So conclusion would be that both kill with one hit and anything else is inconclusive since dead is dead
Strength won't overshadow the amount of damage done. It will be clear that strength played a part in the death. It will also be clear that a greatsword with 20 strength added typically does more damage to the body than a dagger with 20 strength added.

Remove ads