D&D 5E Downtime XP farming with animate dead or conjuration spells

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I think that this is a nice exploit, but it's not something that any reasonable DM would allow. This seems like it would fit better in the realm of video game exploits (which I do love discovering) in that it requires a DM whose complicity is absolute.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A dagger doesn't necessarily do less damage than a two-handed sword.

Yes it does. The dagger does only 1d4 and the greatsword does 2d6, which is far more. That's the entire extent of dagger damage and greatsword damage

A dagger that is wielded by a character that has the out-of-game designation of "Rogue" does an out-of-game 1d4 + DEX mod + a whole heap of sneak attack damage.

None of that matters. Those things like dex and sneak attack are not the dagger doing the damage. They are the holder doing extra damage by other means.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yes it does. The dagger does only 1d4 and the greatsword does 2d6, which is far more. That's the entire extent of dagger damage and greatsword damage

None of that matters. Those things like dex and sneak attack are not the dagger doing the damage. They are the holder doing extra damage by other means.
Yer talkin' 'bout dem "GAME RULZ"! The characters in my world don't give a DAMN about dem fictional "GAME RULZ!" "GAME RULZ" don't exist! Only a crazy person thinks dat when they pick up a dinner knife they know that it does "1D4 damage". What da heck duzz that even MEAN?!?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yer talkin' 'bout dem "GAME RULZ"! The characters in my world don't give a DAMN about dem fictional "GAME RULZ!" "GAME RULZ" don't exist! Only a crazy person thinks dat when they pick up a dinner knife they know that it does "1D4 damage". What da heck duzz that even MEAN?!?
Forget the rules then. You get a dagger and I'll grab a greatsword. Then we hit a stump or something and see which does more damage. This isn't rocket science. ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You could roll a 4 for the dagger and a 2 for the 2H sword, so DEFCON 1 is right, the 2H doesn't necessarily do more damage. It will most probably do more damage, but it is possible that it won't.
Irrelevant. All that means is that the sword barely nicked someone. A nick from a greatsword is equal to half the possible damage from a dagger. As a weapon, the greatsword does more damage. If both land a solid hit, the dagger won't be able to compare to the greatsword.

Necromancy isn't necessary, also you could craft or to buy a trap with a magic rune to summon monsters. This would be used in gladiator arenas to earn not only XPs but also money because it is a spectacle. The origin of the gladiator games was ritual fights to replace human sacrifices in funeral ceremonies. I am not kidding.

Some rogues could fight in pit arenas against some savage beasts, the dirty version of the Spanish bullfighting.

A knight or fighter with noble house could hunt as hobby, but accidents may happen in the hunt. You could ask king Baratheon.

In the movie "the first knight" with Richard Gere, Sean Connery and Julian Ormond, Lancet overcomes an obstacle course to get a kiss by Guinevere. It was dangerous because he didn't wear armor at all.

snickersnax

Explorer
So it would take two complete morons to actually agree to send enough undead to be a threat to life and limb, which means that the numbers showing up wouldn't be a threat. No threat, no exp. If they are a threat, then one will eventually be up for a Darwin when he dies.
I suspect that there are more gradations than trivial or certain death. Maybe even something like easy/medium/hard/deadly....

jasper

Rotten DM
Has anyone else run into this little gem?

1) 5th level necromancer has corpses
2) Casts animate dead on them
3) Orders them to attack him.
4) Slays his own undead for xp.
5) Rinse and repeat
6) Profit to level 20

Also works with conjuration spells, perhaps even better because you can get more xp out of higher level creatures.
On second go round SET god of the undead boosts all the monsters to + 30 to hit 30 slam damage. And waits for your bloody soul to arrive. Then you get the talk.

jasper

Rotten DM

In the movie "the first knight" with Richard Gere, Sean Connery and Julian Ormond, Lancet overcomes an obstacle course to get a kiss by Guinevere. It was dangerous because he didn't wear armor at all.
Um No. It was because the director was quote to the effect of "I paying $3 million dollars for him. I want to see his face!"

Remove ads