Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC- Alpha Group

Dr Simon

Explorer
Erk, WD was in quite a few of my games - that's eviscerated them a bit! Well, I guess at least we stay with three characters for the moment in this group. Looks like I'll be doing some heavy recruiting...
(Edit: Got a PM from another prospective player, so might be back up to four...)

Anyway,
As for the character, Jerrigan looks fine to me. Some points:

Don't forget bonus human feat and skill point. Under PF, humans can choose any class as their favoured class, and if you select Cleric then you also have the choice of another bonus skill point or a bonus hit point.

Also, you can choose a background trait from any of the Player's Guides for the various Pathfinder campaigns - if you have access to Legacy of Fire that is the most comprehensive - or invent one along similar lines. If you use one from the Crimson Throne AP you can alter it so that you don't have to involve Gaedran Lamm in your background, although you can. Alternatively, a connection to one of the other characters would be useful to get you involved.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks Dr. Si! I almost always forget the bonus feat and bonus skill. Arrrrrr! And, I'll probably take the bonus skill for favored class, too. Seems more valuable to me than a single hit point, but, then again, when you're down to less that 5 hp, each one is VERY valuable! I have one of those Pathfinder campaign books, I think, but I'm not sure which one. It might be Guide to Korvosa, if that's even one of them. Anyway, I'll look tonight, and if I need help with it, I'll let you know. And I don't have Legacy of Fire, so no owrries about that Lamm dude. ;)

Dr Simon

Explorer
Guide to Korvosa doesn't have any of the background traits in, but you can use it to add background details to Jerrigan if you like. Rise of the Runelords Players Guide and Crimson Throne Players Guide are free downloads from the Paizo site. I think the Second Darkness PG is part of another product that you need to buy, but if you've bought anything from Paizo they may have given you the chance to download Legacy of Fire PG for free. I know I have. I can always post the relevant parts if you like.

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks, again! Let me take a look at it tonight. I'll let you know before long if I wish for you to do more, ok? And from looking over the IC thread and tying to figure out how you might be introducing Jerrirgan, let me say that your style of DMing is most excellent and your posts extremely well-written. I'm sure to learn a great deal just from being involved in this game, and here's to hoping that lots of good stuff rubs off on me!

Leif

Adventurer
Dr. Si, if you could suggest a few background traits for me to choose amongst, I'd really appreciate it. I think that's the last thing Jerrigan needs to be ready. I sure hope so, anyway.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Leif, thanks for the compliments. Here are a few possible traits from Legacy of Fire and Runelords Players Guides. None of the ones in Crimson Throne seemed to suit this character, although the background fluff can easily be altered.

Blade of Mercy (Sarenrae): You know that within the
heart of even the most hateful and cruel living creature
exists a sliver of shame and hope for redemption. You
have trained long on martial techniques to use bladed
weapons not to kill, but to subdue. When striking to
inflict nonlethal damage with any slashing weapon, you
do not take the normal –4 penalty on your attack roll, and
gain a +1 trait bonus to any nonlethal damage you inflict
with a slashing weapon.

Cleansing the Twisted (Sarenrae): You have studied well
the many religious texts that chronicle Sarenrae’s neverending
struggle against Rovagug and his monstrous
offspring. Your fighting style works particularly well
when you utilize slashing weapons against aberrations.
You gain a +1 trait bonus to slashing weapon damage
against all aberrations.

Strength of the Sun (Sarenrae): You take solace in the
purifying light of the sun. During the day, you gain a +1
trait bonus on all Charisma-based checks.

Missionary: You’ve spent much of the last several years
serving your faith, and the conviction and dedication to
your church has impressed many. Perhaps you’ve donated
much of your personal wealth or time to serving the
church, or you’re the child of a powerful or well-loved
member of the church, an orphan raised by the church,
or a foundling with a strange birthmark that bears
more than a passing resemblance to your faith’s holy
symbol. The faith has long supported you, and you are
eager to repay the church in some way. You’ve been selected
for your dedication to the church and your strong social
graces—pick one of the following skills: Bluff, Diplomacy,
Intimidate, Knowledge (religion), Perform (any), or Sense
Motive. You gain a +1 trait bonus on checks using that
skill, and it is always considered a class skill for you.

Country Born: You come from one of Varisia’s rural regions,
where you were raised in an environment of rustic tradition, honest work, and common sense. A childhood of farm work, apprenticeship, or similar toil has granted you reserves of endurance. Once per day, when an effect would normally leave you fatigued or exhausted, you may ignore the fatigue or
exhaustion effect. This ability activates the first time you are affected by fatigue or exhaustion in a day—you cannot “save” it to apply it to a specific effect. Your traditional upbringing has sharpened your willpower as well, granting a +1 bonus on Will saves.

Lone Wolf
Although you may have grown up in the city, you led a lonely childhood and were forced to fend for yourself. Whenever you are dying, your chance of stabilizing is 50%. Your vigorous health also grants you a +1 bonus on
Fortitude saves.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Good,

I should be able to write you in pretty quickly, Leif.

We may also have another player, rpgramen, who's been creating a character through PM with me.

rpgramen

First Post
Indeedily do. One quasi intellectual/cynical/egotistical Chelish investigative Bard, at your service. Just awaiting a write in :p

On a completely unrelated note, boy it's been a while since I've played a Level 1 character. It makes me feel like Gleep from the Herculoids >.>

Remove ads