Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Dr Simon

Explorer
The next day, Jeremiah proudly presents you with a handful of scrolls.

"They'll last ya six hours," he says, "Hope that's enough for ya. Wouldn't want to spend too much time in the Jeggare meself. Ya'll know when ya time is running out, so don't worry about getting suddenly stuck with no air. Good luck!"

And so the group stands on the shores of the Jeggare River, not far from Eel's End, looking out into the murky waters and trying not to think about jigswa sharks, reefclaws, devil fish and other terrors known to inhabit the waters.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Um.. does anyone know for sure where this boat is?" Brindom says eying the water and then looking to his armor.

He sighs, this is going to be a long day.

Dr Simon

Explorer
So this was Korvosa, supposedly the second city of Varisia?

The captain of the ship that bought Mhairi here had refused to put into port, something about a quarantine, so she had taken matters into her own hands. Having swum ashore, she found the place quieter than expected. Granted, it was early in the morning but this was a major port - there ought to be more people about. And many houses and businesses were boarded up, painted with a red cross. Not a good omen.

Up ahead she saw three men, stood contemplating the waters of the Jeggare River as if the were attending a Harrow reading. By some odd coincidence she recognised one of them - the grim-faced man with the guisarme. Edmond Deathwish.

Axel

First Post
Mhairi stood on the shore of the river, water streaming off her arms, off her face and off her hair which was also plastered all over her face. The altercation with the ship's captain had put her in a bad mood. I held up my end of the deal. Lousy cheating double-crosser....

Put those negative thoughts out of your head girl. A new city, a new life. Time to start again. Again.

Sitting down, Mhairi fished around in the sack that had held all her stuff except for the clothes she was wearing. Clothes that were now also streaming water and thoroughly stuck to her. Finding a pair of shoes and a cloak Mhairi fished them out. Using the cloak as a towel to dry her hair slightly, enough to keep it out her eyes at least, and her feet she sat down and fastened her shoes. Glancing back into the sack at the suit of mail, the sword and various other pieces of junk she'd had with her when she'd decided to run, Mhairi decided to leave it alone for now. Half that stuff looks expensive anyway. Don't want to look rich...never get a job then. I've got one of my knives handy anyway. Any trouble that I can't handle with just that and I'm outta here.

Having composed herself, and made herself at least a little decent (even if covered in thin cotton clothing that was stuck to her like a spider web), Mhairi checked out her surroundings. Glancing around was less than encouraging. Red crosses on doors. Shops boarded up. Generally deserted. Even in the middle of the night a riverfront is normally busy. This doesn't look like I timed my visit well. Spotting a group of three people up ahead, she nearly fell back into the water in a shock.

Surely not! If I hadn't just swum for 15 minutes I would swear by all the Gods that the short wiry blonde fellow is Edmond! Oh my....I think it is! Nobody else would ever grow such an awful beard!! By Calistria he better not be working for the same crowd. Still, he might have some contacts...

Deciding to put her best foot forward, Mhairi arranged her wet hair just...so, and began a slow walk towards the group. Her sack was clutched in the right hand, left hand free near the knife, but not so close to arouse suspicion. Just in case those bastards are looking for me...

Approaching the group, she glanced slightly downwards and looked up at the man she could swear was Edmond through her lashes and fringe. Smiling gently, she "Edmond, is that you?! What a small world this is. What have you been doing since I last saw you?"

Even if it isn't Edmond, or if he doesn't remember me, its cold enough in this shirt that he might pretend for a day or two anyway. I'm starving...do anything for a bite to eat.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Edmond takes his eyes off the river and alights them at new arrival (river rat? :) ).

He takes the arrival in his usual stoic silence, not indicating if he recognized the woman or not. He thinks it over for a moment.

He then relaxes his grip on the weapon and offers her the hand
"Hello Mhairi, I thought you ran out of Korvosa for good. Catching up will have to wait for the morning. You may consider leaving immediately if you have the means, Korvosa is under the plague of unseen proportions. If you cannot, I'm sorry. What did you do swimming at this hour? Did the marshal sent you? Or you advanced your charier on exotic elementals?"

He finishes his long speech with something that may or may not be a joke. It is however most she ever heard from him in a single talk. He's obviously doing well in life, whatever he's doing. He's well equipped as is the group around him.

"People, this one is one of the girls I had to guard while working for Lamm."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Brindom looks up from the river and is immeditaley taken back. The woman standing there was so.... "Beautiful."

When she looks over at the young priest and catches his eye he looks to the ground and starts to stammer. "Um... I...I mean to say that the light. The light reflecting off the.. the river is beautiful."

Looking back out to the brown water, that is anything but beautiful, he studies the river intently hoping to be forgotten.

OCC: Welcome aboard Axel

Axel

First Post
Mhairi dropped her sack of junk with a clink to take Edmond's hand, while making a mock pout. "Three years and all you offer is a cold fish handshake? Come here you hideously bearded man!" she said, pulling Edmond into a tight hug and giving him a peck on the cheek. His armour felt cold against her wet clothes.

Stepping back from Edmond, she looked him straight in the eye with a half smile and raised eyebrows. "A plague you say? Perhaps the scumbag captain was right after all. He wouldn't come in to shore, which is why I swam... Probably not the smartest move I ever made...but I'm not kept around for my smarts, am I? Anyway, I am here for now without 2 copper pieces to rub together to get out again, so might as well make the best of it for a day or two. Sadly no lonely water elementals out there... Do you still keep up with the old crowd?"

Turning to the other two, she smiles in embarassment, "Edmond never was one for talking much, or introductions. I'm Mhairi." "And yes, the water looks beautiful in this light doesn't it?" she added with a grin for Brindom. "Don't be shy you two! Any friend of Edmond is a friend of mine."

Something suddenly clicks in her brain that Edmond had said earlier. Mhairi whips her head around to face Edmond again, eyes wide with fear, "What, what did you say about the Marshall before? Why would he send me? Are you in some kind of trouble?!"

Neurotic

"Peace. We are at the mission for her, I thought maybe somehow you got involved since we found you here. And no, old crowd is destroyed. By our hand."
He looks back then realizes he's the only one of the original group..."Well, not this group, but not me alone. We are looking for the source of the plague. Care to join? Here, take my cloak, warm up, we're going swimming."

Axel

First Post
Mhairi relaxes a little, breathing out deeply as her face wrinkles in confusion. "Edmond, you owe me a dinner to make up for that fright. And you explain what has happened over it. Sounds like I've missed quite a bit."

Glancing at the water, her face wrinkles further and
shivers a little. "So you're going swimming at the Marshall's orders...to stop a plague? You want me to come swimming, but dry off first? I am sooo confused. I don't mind helping a friend, but only if they're not crazy."

Neurotic

"Oh, shut up. we're not going in unprepared. And as it happens we have a scroll extra. Enough talk. Let's get this ship!"

Remove ads