• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Dr Simon

Explorer
Manachan inspects the ruined bow. There is little left inside, although what there is suggest that the upper deck was the ship's galley. The lower deck contains some tumbled and broken crates of foodstuffs. On both upper and lower decks, doors hang open leading down into the dark depths at the very front of the ship.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Once the others catch up, Manachan approaches the open doors leading to the very front of the bow; first he peers through into the murk, then (assuming he's not fighting something off) swims through.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Inside the bow section is a jumble of broken furniture, cases and sundry items that have all down to the front. The hull has cracked and splintered, and silt has drifed in, coating everything in the room. Manachan can see nothing else from the doorway.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"This might help." Edmond focuses and four glittering points of light appear. One stays with him and other three follow Manachan, Brindom and Mhairi.

OOC: dancing lights class feature :)

Axel

First Post
Mhairi turned around to give Edmond a thumbs up and grin. SO much easier to see now! Oooh...look at those cases. Wonder what's in there? Could be something expensive!

She swam over to the cases, pushing through the doorway. Quickly glancing over the pile of debris for any indigienous fauna, Mhairi swept away the layers of silt with her left hand - the right keeping a tight grip on her tiny crossbow.

Dr Simon

Explorer
As Mhairi starts moving the crates, a large snake-like creature, the colour of the silt, darts out from its disturbed hiding place and bites her arm. The wound is not serious , just a couple of puncture marks, but already looks raw and angry.

[sblock=OOC]
Knowledge (nature) for more information, but think of a moray eel in appearance.

Surprise round
Eel - bite attack vs. Mhairi, hits for 2 damage. Give me a Fortitude save....

NB, yes, I did roll for Perception for Mhairi; it was just better at hiding!
[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
Mhairi squealed as the snake-creature lunged and bit her. I didn't see it! Oh no, what if it's poisonous!! She frantically pushed away from the crates and cases, trying to put some distance between herself and the creature while searching for her starknife hanging off her belt.

Almost as an afterthought, she shoots at it with her crossbow.

[sblock=combat stuff]
hp = 45/47
ac = 18 / 14 (T) / 18 (FF w/ uncanny dodge)

Fort: +1
Refl: +8
Will: +1

Right hand: Hand crossbow
Left hand: Starknife
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
Don't stress on Perception checks et al Dr Si. I have never (and hope will never) have a sooky-la-la about not seeing enemies, or things not going my way.

Its been a long time since I had to remember the rules for underwater combat without Freedom of Movement... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the following apply:

- Swim check (DC 10 for calm water) to move 1/4 speed as a move action (5' step not possible due to no swim speed?)
- Piercing weapons are at no penalty, slashing and bludgeoning weapons do half damage?

In any case, it seems Mhairi's actions are:
Full round action: Full withdrawal 15' directly away (unless 5' step possible, in which case step back and shoot)

Fort save at +1 with a level 5 character, here I go...
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Mhairi backpedals in the water and fires off her hand crossbow, hitting the eel and wounding it. It withdraws slightly, watching and waiting. More heads appear behind it - it isn't entirely clear if thre are six of these creatures down there, or one with lots of heads.

[sblock]
Mhairi - Swim 20+6=26. Hand Crossbow attack 17+8=25, hits for 1d4=2 damage.

Round One Initiative
Manachan
Mhairi
Eel(s)
Edmond
Brindom

Currently I have it that only Manachan and Mhairi are in the chamber with the eel, Brindom and Edmond are outside the bow section. I'll NPC Brindom for now since HM seems to have left the boards.

Re Underwater combat, what Axel says seems to match here. I see no mention of 5 ft. steps; I'll assume that if you pass a Swim check for that round you can make one.
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Dang, I'm sorry Dr. Si (and Axel and Neurotic)! For some reason I was thinking it was someone else's turn! I'll ge a post up tonight when I get back to my PC.

Remove ads