Draconians

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Draconians are one of my favorite monsters, and I think it would be fun to repeat the same evil plot from Dragonlance of stealing metallic dragon eggs, holding them hostage, and secretly corrupting them to create draconians for Tyranny of Dragons. I'm leaning toward using it in an FR influenced homebrew anyway instead of in the Realms, so why not add some DL influence?

Thanks for the write ups.

Sorry it's been a while...here's a Sivak.

Draconian, Sivak
Large Humanoid (Dragon), Lawful Evil
Armor Class 19 (Natural, Half-plate)
Hit Points 52 (7d10 + 8)
Speed 30 ft., Fly 60 ft
Senses darkvision 60 ft.

Str 19 (+4) Dex 10 (+0) Con 14 (+2) Int 12 (+1) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 12 (+1)

Skills Deception +4, Intimidate +4
Languages Common, Dragon
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Death Throes: When a Sivak draconian is killed, the Sivak changes shape, assuming the form of the humanoid that killed it. This death shape lasts for 3 days before the entire body decomposes into black ash. If the Sivak’s killer is not a humanoid, or if it is larger than the Sivak, then the draconian will burst into flame, dealing 9 (2d8) fire damage to all creatures within 10 feet unless they make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw.

Magic Resistance: Sivak Draconians have advantage on saving throws against magical effects.

Shapechanger. A Sivak can use its action to polymorph into a Large or smaller humanoid that it has just killed, or back into its true form. Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

ACTIONS

Multiattack: If the draconian is not using weapons, he can attack twice in the same round with his claws and make a tail attack. If he is wielding a weapon, he can attack once with the weapon and make a tail attack, or it can attack twice with its weapon.

Melee Attack—Greatsword: +6 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 11 (2d6+4) slashing damage.

Melee Attack – Claw: +6 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 8 (1d6+4) slashing damage.

Melee Attack—Tail: +6 to hit (reach 5 ft; one creature).
Hit: 9 (2d4+4) bludgeoning damage, and the target must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw or fall prone.

Ok, last one for now. I might still do the Traag and possibly the noble Draconians, but I think this is a decent start.

The Aurak was the most difficult to do. I went with a combination of 2nd edition and 3rd edition Aurak...I'm not sure how it will play though.

I'm also not sure about the CR for this one...the Aurak is a nasty critter and would give most parties a run for their money.

Draconian, Aurak
Medium Humanoid (Dragon), Lawful Evil
Armor Class 16 (Natural)
Hit Points 60 (8d8 + 24)
Speed 30 ft.
Senses darkvision 60 ft.
Str 10 (+4) Dex 13 (+1) Con 16 (+3) Int 14 (+2) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 20 (+5)
Skills Arcana +4, Intimidate +7
Languages Common, Dragon
Challenge 6 (2300 XP)

Death Throes: When an Aurak reaches 0 hit points, it does not die, but instead surrounds itself with green flames and enters a fighting frenzy (advantage on all attack rolls). Anyone who attacks the Aurak until the end of its next turn will take 7 (2d6) fire damage. At the end of its next turn, it explodes. Those within ten feet must make a DC 15 saving throw or suffer 14 (4d6) damage, or half damage if the save is successful.

Magic Resistance: Aurak Draconians have advantage on saving throws against magical effects.

Spellcasting: The Aurak is an 8th-level spellcaster that uses Charisma as its magic ability (spell save DC 15). It has the following spells prepared:

Cantrip (at will): Acid Splash, True Strike, Dancing Lights, Shocking Grasp, Mage Hand
1st level (4 slots): Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep
2nd level (3 slots): Blindness/Deafness, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
3rd level (3 slots): Blink, Lightning Bolt
4th level (2 slots): Wall of Fire

Disguise Self: 3 times per day, the Aurak can cast Disguise Self. The forms it can change to are limited to humanoid forms of a similar size that the Aurak has seen before.

Dimension Door: 3 times per day, the Aurak can cast a limited version of Dimension Door. The draconian can teleport to any point he can see within 60’

Dominate Person: Once per day, the Aurak can cast Dominate Person as the spell. The save DC is 15, and it cannot be cast in a higher level spell slot.

ACTIONS

Eldritch Blast: An Aurak draconian has the Eldritch Blast cantrip and can cast it at will. It casts as a level 8 spellcaster and uses its Charisma as its spellcasting ability. When using its Disguise Self ability, the Aurak appears to be wielding an appropriate weapon. Each time the Aurak uses this ability, it fires 2 beams.

Eldritch Blast. Ranged Magical Attack: +7 to hit, range 120 ft. one or two targets.
Hit: 11 (1d10+5) force damage.

Breath Weapon (Recharge 5-6): The Aurak breaths a cloud of noxious gas in a 15’ cone. Each creature caught in the cloud must make a DC 15 Constitution check or take 10 (3d6) poison damage.

Last edited:

Astromath

First Post
Re: Aurak Draconian

There's a problem with the Aurak. Its Eldritch Blast is a ranged attack. That means if the Aurak is within melee distance and the illusion of the blast is a sword, the attack will be at disadvantage, thereby ruining the illusion. I suggest the following addition:

Special: The Aurak's Eldritch Blast, when in the form of a melee weapon, is not made at disadvantage.

Remove ads