• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Draconomicon: surprises ahead! (scoop + speculation)

LordArchaon

Explorer
breschau said:
So wait, are the chromatic dragons going to be in the Monster Manual?

How the hell can there be a Monster Manual without black, white, and red dragons?

All the classic 5 are gonna be in the MM: Black, Blue, Green, Red, and White.
It has already been confirmed that the MM will have chromatics, but not metallics. If you refer to this Draconomicon "describing the Black, Blue, Green" and so on, I think we can be sure it means giving additional info, not presenting them for the first time.
But the Draconomicon will add three more colors... I bet yellow, brown and gray (the one on the cover?), or maybe violet... who knows. Yellow is a sure bet.

Last edited:

UndeadScottsman

First Post
breschau said:
So wait, are the chromatic dragons going to be in the Monster Manual?

How the hell can there be a Monster Manual without black, white, and red dragons?

...Uh, 3.5 had a book about dragons and that didn't stop dragons from appearing in various monster manuals, include the core monster manual. Likewise, there's a book about martial powers, but that isn't going to stop martial powers from showing up in the PHB.

LordArchaon

Explorer
Yair said:
I just want to say this picture is SO MUCH WORSE than the old draconomicon's picture...

Don't you think that the cover presented in March for a product coming in November may actually get to change... a bit?

Derren

Hero
LordArchaon said:
Don't you think that the cover presented in March for a product coming in November may actually get to change... a bit?

Why should it? WotC certainly doesn't commissions artists to do book cover sized pictures out of fun and generosity.

Klaus

First Post
Cadfan said:
If dragons are chromatic, then you've got symmetry based design schemes. What's compelling about "blue?"

A storm-and-lightning themed dragon who happens to be blue is compelling.

Blue is not compelling.

One of these days some artist is going to send WOTC a picture of, I don't know, a black dragon with red stripes. And its going to blow their minds. How can a dragon have two colors? Does it breathe acid AND fire? How does that even work!

Sincerely,
Cadfan,
Who believes that chromatic dragons MURDERED dragon art, and will never forgive them.
And if you look at the 3.x art for dragons, you'll see that the red dragon has a bone-white underbelly, black stripes down its back and wings and frill that verge on the purple-gray. The other chromatics are similarly multicolored.

So feel free to forgive them.

Remove ads