[Dragon] #309..Am I reading this Right??

The Halfling

Explorer
In the "Beasts of the Battlefield" article, the golem swarm has Magic Immunity (except for Transmute Rock to Mud and Stone to Flesh). TRM deals 5d6 damage, no save to the swarm, and StF negates the swarms DR to adamantite for 1 rnd.

Now, additionally, the swarm subtype make it immune to crits and flanking, and ALL WEAPON DAMAGE (rather makes using StF useless when applied to a golem swarm).

So the only way to defeat the swarm is to use one specific spell(TRM)?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hmm, a challenging monster! I wonder how non-magical area energy attacks (alchemical acid, etc.) would work against it?

DanMcS

Explorer
It would take at least 3 rock-to-mud spells to kill it. No one prepares that many unless they're forewarned. Nothing else can hurt it at all- immune to all weapons? Lame. Maybe you could drop big boulders on it if you happened to have some in your pocket.

I thought the point of the revised DR was that you didn't have to have stupid damage notations like "takes half damage from slashing and piercing" and "immune to all weapon damage".

It should have DR 5/adamantine (I guess that's for being made of golems) and 15/blunt (so that big whacks with a huge sword of some kind, or else a club or bludgeon, could hurt it), and use the best one in any case. So if you hit it with an adamant mace, you're bypassing the DR completely; if you hit it with an adamant sword, you won't hurt it much because it's made up of tiny creatures that are hard to slice up, so DR 15; if you hit it with a regular club, that's not hard enough to hurt it really bad, so DR 5.

Ashardalon

First Post
The Halfling said:
Now, additionally, the swarm subtype make it immune to crits and flanking, and ALL WEAPON DAMAGE (rather makes using StF useless when applied to a golem swarm).

So here's the thread...

According to what I heard, the swarm has tiny components, which means that it takes half damage from bludgeoning weapons. I hope I'm right. ;)

(Living in Germany has a few drawbacks regarding availability of things;) )

drnuncheon

Explorer
Dragon #309 does not agree with the details of the Swarm subtype in Fiend Folio - as a swarm made up of Tiny creatures, it should be listed as taking half damage from slashing and piercing weapons.

Hmm. I thought they were trying to get rid of that in 3.5...

J

Remove ads