• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 365 - Bazaar of the Bizarre: The Treasure of Ashardalon

Mr Jack

First Post
Some really interesting items in there. The Belt of Mountain's Endurance is far stronger than a Belt of Vigor, though - I'm not sure if that means it's overpowered, or that the designers decided the Belt of Vigor was weak.

More to the point Belt of Vigor is a level 2 item, Belt of Mountain Endurance is level 18. One should expect it to be better.

Asmor

First Post
I like the flask, but I'd change it so that the minor action includes drinking and breathing. It's annoyingly ambiguous as written, and essentially lets you "save" a minor action for a later round.

Ginnel

Explorer
I like the flask, but I'd change it so that the minor action includes drinking and breathing. It's annoyingly ambiguous as written, and essentially lets you "save" a minor action for a later round.

So you get a racial ability once per day, 680gp for elven precision once a day yus please

Bagpuss

Legend
Emphasis changed. At any point until the end of the encounter. Once you use it, you can't do it again.

So I can use at at this point in round one, and this point in round two and this point in round three, etc.

So I can use at at this point in round one, or this point in round two or this point in round three, etc.

The text makes no clear distinction.

If breathing fire was a standard action replacing your normal attacks it wouldn't be that unbalanced as the damage is so poor.

If it was a minor action then yes it would be broken being at-will.

Personally I think it was intended as once, and a minor action, but the text needs cleaning up to reflect that.

Tigerbunny

First Post
So you get a racial ability once per day, 680gp for elven precision once a day yus please
Seems about right to me. Any Elf gets it for free at 1st level. The opportunity cost for getting it as an item-based daily shouldn't be too far out of line with that. After all, I drink the Elixir of Elfness, then roll 20s the whole rest of the encounter - oops. I think I would make the putative Elixir of Elfness require you to use it on your NEXT attack roll, though.

It's interesting to see how much life Ashardalon has been given since 3e.

• Ashardalon was a key component in the 3.0 adventure modules, especially Bastion of Broken Souls.
  • Draconomicon had a PrC based on him.
  • Magic of Incarnum attributes the Bastion of Souls as one of the sources of incarnum and references Ashardalon, too.
  • Player's Handbook II suggests the Bastion of Souls as a possible site for a rebuild quest.
  • Dragon Magic presents Ashardalon as a vestige.

Did I miss anything?

It's a shame these came out as 4e magic items only instead of adding to the 3e run of Ashardalon references.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
I think that the Ring of the Ghost Knight is one of the more mechanically interesting items, since its one of the few examples that actually creates a "creature" that can move and attack at your command, at the price of a minor action. Perhaps a preview of "pet" classes?

The orb of temporal dissonance is my favorite item overall.

Thats how flaming sphere works isn't it?

Remove ads