Dragon Age RPG (recruiting)

Theroc

First Post
Oh man... this almost tempts me to go look at it, loved Dragon Age... but I can't download anything, so no PDF for me. Good luck with it though, man. I would hopped on here despite being in 17 other games. >.>

fireinthedust

Explorer
it's actually a good system. I say this after having read the pdf and mused about the rules even before I bought it. I like it a lot. It's simple, and is made to let people get their game on fast.

The game will start in a small town near an out-of-the-way Fortress Monastery of the Chantry. The fortress is set to guard against the apostates in the nearby dark forest, and the knights send out daily patrols to this end. The town has been there longer than the fortress, however, and all is not what it seems.

Player Characters will be from outside the Town, for whatever reasons tie them all together.

Follow the usual creation rules, rolling your 8 stats through Invisiblecastle.com, in order, one swap, link to this page; the only change is you roll 5 times, picking the best of the stat sets. If the end result is still not satisfactory, I'll give some points to boost as you choose. I'm tempted to let the party roll, then let everyone use the same set of stats allotted to choice (so it's either 5 each, or everyone shares).
Level 1. Any race, class and background is fine, though you need to be aware of the consequences of your choices...

Also: I don't promise a gritty, depressing game. It won't be goofy magic, and it won't be from the videogame in the setting (which I haven't played). This is pure boxed set, and research on the wikia.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Whoa, whoa people: slow down! I know I'm amazing as a DM, but you're all just going to have to wait your turn for this puppy.

And I'm afraid, everyone, that I'll only be taking the best submissions be they written well or accompanied by baked goods, chocolates or bossoms (one bosom per character only, though).

Amazing interest here, folks. I had no idea so many people were more aware than I was that the game hadn't technically come out yet (beyond the PDF that I downloaded free with the pre-order... which explains why it's a pre-order).

Simmer down, I say! Okay, fine: you, there, pipe up with your character concept!

Rathan

First Post
sounds cool Fire... can you personal message me possibly with the pdf info so I can dl it and take a look at it?... perhaps it's something I will buy in the near future....

fireinthedust

Explorer
I couldn't find any torrents for it, and I'm computer inept. In fact, I actually have a gnome who takes dictation for me typing this exact forum post.

I like it a lot. It's only 17 for the pdf, and 30 for the hardcopy with the pdf also. I got the preorder, and I'm excited about it. It's very rules-lite. Even though I'm stingy, I know I'll likely check out the other boxed sets (or make up my own higher-level rules, I dunno).

Theroc

First Post
I got the pdfs and would be interested.

(BTW, downloading without paying is...)

For my part, I had assume there was some sort of trial playtest PDF to get a gist from. I had no intent to download the full version without paying(though, I also don't expect myself to purchase either having no funds, but poking with a trial may convince me to scrounge some cash for it, if there'd be enough games on Enworld for it(If it was simple enough I may even try DMing it.)

But I can't download without checking with my father(who owns my network), and if there is no free playtest-type of trial rules to get a taste of the rules, I would not be asking about downloads. Good luck with the game fire, I may poke around and see if the PbP has the same feel as the computer game (though whether it does or not wouldn't have any direct bearing on the quality, just how close it was to the feel I slowly got addicted to.)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Walking Dad: agreed; I paid for it, let others do the same! Also: good to have you on board!

I'm going to change some of the setting to fit my needs, mind you. I'm working off what's in the book, as I haven't played the computer game. I'm also thinking it'd be a great system for more historical characters.

I want all players to read the section on Ferelden society and history. If you're a Noble, understand what it means to be one in this setting. If you're a commoner, get what that means also.

Why you adventure:

Nobles: your job is to make war. You convince freeholders to let you protect them, and this is done by earning honor in battle, or other prestige.

Commoners: You want to earn prestige to earn a noble title, perhaps. Or you have a personal reason. Whatever, but anyone with enough skill can be deemed a "noble", or get enough respect to fulfill whatever other goals you may have.

Mages: the very real risk of possession by demons means that the common folk fear even the most benevolent of mages. Circle Mages are watched by the Chantry, but accepted. Apostate mages are actively hunted. Adventuring allows mages some level of respectability.

[sblock=Dwarves] while there is a kingdom left undestroyed, Dwarven PCs (called surface dwarves) are descended from those who escaped having their kingdoms destroyed by the Blight (ie: orc-like Darkspawn and dragons who claimed their homes. Think Moria or Lonely Mountain). So it's not just that they left and were dishonoured, like in the game; they are, compared to deep dwarves. However, this is why: having been forced out of their stone homes they lost honor in the sight of their paragons/great ancestors. Dwarves hate Darkspawn from before their exile, and this makes it worse. If they could find and reclaim a kingdom, that would let them reclaim honor. [/sblock]

[sblock=Elves] The elves are a broken people. Wild Elves are those who escaped to the forest and keep to their old ways in small bands. They hunt Darkspawn, but also non-wild elves entering their domains. I don't really want anyone to play a Wild elf from this region.

City Elves: fit the same role as half-elves would (those come out as humans, btw). They're a lower class of slaves and forced labour, as they were taken in by the humans who destroyed their nation. As such, those in cities live in (protective) ghettos, while those outside of them travel in Gypsy-style caravans.
City elves adventure because it's the only way they can lead a respected life.[/sblock]

Remove ads