• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Kings: A Spiritual Succesor to Dark Sun?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
According to the website, "Dragon Kings is a new fantasy game world conceived and presented in fiction, art, and music simultaneously by Timothy Brown, creator of Dark Sun and 2300AD."

http://www.dragonkingsproject.com/

I got the PR today:

press release said:
LAS VEGAS, NV – June 25, 2013 – Veteran game designer and musician Timothy Brown today announced that he intends to create a whole new role-playing game world titled Dragon Kings, the ‘spiritual successor’ to his popular design Dark Sun. This new world will be envisioned not only in fiction and art, but in music, as well.

“Dark Sun was innovative because we created the game world and its art simultaneously,” says Brown. “We imagined concepts and asked Brom to draw them, and Brom painted those concepts that we later described in game terms. I’m so pleased that he is collaborating with us on my new Dragon Kings universe. His first cover painting is already finished!”

“Tim has a really innovative idea with Dragon Kings,” says Gerald Brom, the original artistic creator of Dark Sun. “I don’t know of another game world that’s been created in quite this way. It’s exciting to be a part of!”

“By creating an epic story as a concept rock album, I can describe my new world in ways that have never been done before,” Brown continues. “I’ve always been a huge fan of albums like Rush’s 2112, Queensryche’s Operation Mindcrime, and Pink Floyd’s The Wall. I’ve often thought, ‘if those were game worlds, I’d be playing in them!’ Gaming and music are my two passions. It’s time I combined them into a single project!”

Brown is assembling a team of writers, artists, and musicians to bring the Dragon Kings world to life. “I’ve got several great, talented people on line, and I can make some announcements on them soon. My plan is to gather the team and create the world and its music. As pieces are ready – description, art, map, sample tracks – we’ll put them up on the website so people can follow our progress.”

I'm a fan of prog rock, so sure, why the hell not? Of course, most gamers I know can hardly carry a tune at karaoke, so I'm a bit dreading seeing him perform a ridiculously long rock song. But who knows, maybe he's good.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Agreed. D&D + music =/= peanut butter + chocolate in any stretch of the imagination, but I'm all about Dark Sun. I'm hoping they can be kept "Church vs. State" if you know what I mean.

Kcinlive

Explorer
I am not quite sure what to make of this. I could take or leave the progressive rock. It all depends on how good it is. However, the game and art intrigue me. I am a fan of Gerald Brom's art, and I love me some Dark Sun. I will have to keep an eye on this.

-Kcinlive

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The music thing is just an extra, I think. It 'a a game setting, primarily. It'll just have a theme tune too!

A little more conversation with them indicates that this is a setting for (unspecified) existing systems, not a system itself.

Remove ads