• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon No. 319 arrived today

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
And the reason it sucked is because all of the classes and races are taken directly out of the PHB with minimal if any mechanical changes to fit Athas

Oddly enough, this is probably perfect. I love it. I saw no Paladins on Athas, and No Spellcasting Bards on Athas, and I said "why." As long as they can do some creative flavor to stick the class into the setting, I'm all for it (frex, paladins as sort of anti-templars, bards magic is never defiling, etc.).

I might have to pick it up because of this...as far as I'm concerned, "Different for The Sake of Being Different" is an aspect of DS that I can live without. :)

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
In my opinion it completely sucked. And the reason it sucked is because all of the classes and races are taken directly out of the PHB with minimal if any mechanical changes to fit Athas.
Hmm.

Makes me wonder ... since I never got into Dark Sun in the 2nd Edition Era by TSR ... Was Dark Sun a published D&D setting, or was it a setting that radically deviated from their best-selling ruleset in the 1990's (IOW, a fantasy game with a false and misleading "D&D" label slapped on it)?

Hmm. :]

Dragonblade said:
The new Dark Sun section is sort of a mini players guide. They talk about the basics of playing a Dark Sun campaign using the PHB races and classes and then add notes on how Dark Sun clerics differ from regular clerics etc.

In my opinion it completely sucked. And the reason it sucked is because all of the classes and races are taken directly out of the PHB with minimal if any mechanical changes to fit Athas.

For example, in classic Dark Sun there are no paladins and Bards do not cast spells, among other things. Well there are paladins now! And Bards cast spells like it was no big deal. Like the world isn't a blasted wasteland from the excesses of rogue wizards.

Hey Noonan! Get a clue! There are no paladins on Athas!!!!!!! Did you even read the original boxed set? And Bards on Athas do not cast spells!!

Half-Giants are referred to in the Expanded PsiHB so they tell you to look there, but I can tell already that Cordell has done his part in screwing over this Dark Sun fan. Half-Giants are only a +1 Level adjustment race. Sorry but, I don't see that as staying true to what half-giants were really like in classic Dark Sun. Half-Giants should have a +8 or +10 to Strength to accurately portray them as they were in the original Dark Sun setting. Somehow, I don't think that is what their strength bonus is going to be.

When they converted Dark Sun over from 2nd Edition, they should have focused on keeping the setting and the feel as intact as possible. Dark Sun was never a balanced setting in the first place. Trying to shoehorn the setting into the Balance Rules All paradigm of 3rd Edition just totally kills the setting. Besides there are other ways to balance Dark Sun versions of the PHB classes or even use Half-Giants at their full potential and still maintain balance in the game. But Noonan didn't want to actually think so he just tossed in everything from the PHB or the new PsiHB whether it belongs on Athas or not.

Guess what, WotC isn't going to make an imbalanced setting, just not going to happen. "Shoehorning" Athas into 3e by actually paying attention to balance issues isn't ruining a setting, it's making it playable. One of the reasons people stopped playing 2e and 3e was so succesful is that it actually paid attention to games being balanced.

The magazine article even notes that Paladins are extremely rare on Athas, if you don't want them, don't use them in your game. If you haven't noticed, 3rd Edition has always been about providing options for people's games, not just saying "you can't because we say so" for anything. Arbitrarily restricting classes isn't fun, tell the DM why they shouldn't be there, and leave it to the DM to decide if he wants to have any as PC's in his game.

Also, this isn't a slavishly uncreative recreation of Dark Sun. If people want a painfully arcane and convoluted recreation of the setting, full of arbitrary rules which exist only because "it's always been that way here", it's not going to be very fun or entertaining to someone who isn't a long-term fan of Dark Sun.

I never knew much about Dark Sun. I started playing in 2e, but after Dark Sun was discontinued, and never got to play in a 2e game. Dark Sun was almost a cliche among my friends for an overpowered game. I don't have a problem with anything in there, because I was aware of the concept of the setting, but I didn't walk in with a decade of preconceptions on how it *had* to be. Between this Dragon, the one last December with the Preserver/Defiler rules & the matching issue of Dungeon, it had everything I expected.

Dragon Kings, Check. Preservers & Defilers, Check. Lots of Psionics, Check. Roguish Elves & Feral Halflings, Check. Hot & Barren, Check. Templars & Elemental Clerics, Check. Psionic beasts and unique undead, Check. Half-Giants, Thri-Kreen & Muls, Check.

The 3.5 Dark Sun in Dragon is also set ~300 years after the prior Dark Sun materials, to allow for any differences in the setting. You could just assume that Paladins started emerging in small numbers in the last few centuries, and that a spellcaster multiclassed as a Bard, developed bardic magic, and slowly spead it among bards until after a few hundred years the average bard has some limited arcane magic.

Shadowdancer said:
Warriors of the Animal Fist: Crouching Panther, Slashing Dragon by Patrick Younts. Monks who study and mimic the fighting styles of various animals, to the extent they not only master these deadly skills, they also can transform into humanoid versions of their chosen animal. Basically a PrC called a Shen, with variations based on the animal types emulated -- Crane, Dragon, Mantis, Monkey, Panther, Snake, and Tiger. Each animal Shen is treated as a different prestige class. Open to non-Monk classes.
[

Wow.

Never thought I'd see this one actually end up printed. I sold it to them almost two years ago now.

I'm sure there were hefty changes made, as it was designed for 3.0, not 3.5
Hopefully, it ended up okay.

It's funny, but I'm most interested in seeing the art that accompanies it. I wonder if the artist's impression matches up with mine.

Patrick Y.

herald

First Post
I purchaced the Darksun game and dumped it quickly just because of the nerfed Bard and not having a Paladin. I might run a game of Darksun now.

Shadowdancer said:
I must have been a good boy lately -- I went home for dinner this evening (Tues.) and found Dragon No. 319 waiting in my mailbox. :cool:

[*]"Countdown to Eberron" by Mat Smith. Dragonmarks revealed, including history, a PrC and feats.

Basically a PrC called a Shen,

Aerial Avenger: Wrath on Wings by Monte Cook. Flying prestige class.

Thank God for more prestige classes. I was running out.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Makes me wonder ... since I never got into Dark Sun in the 2nd Edition Era by TSR ... Was Dark Sun a published D&D setting, or was it a setting that radically deviated from their best-selling ruleset in the 1990's (IOW, a fantasy game with a false and misleading "D&D" label slapped on it)?

It was VERY different from the Realms, Greyhawk, DL, etc....with many
adapted rules. But it was still "sword & sorcery" just with more dust. :p

You needed to know/own the 2ed Players Handbook and DM guide, but it
had it's own MM supplements.

Very different, but still "D&D".

Make any sense?? :confused:

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
Wanted to pop in and say why I didn't post the link to Alzrius's thread last night (or haven't done it now). I'll keep on trying, but for some reason, the boards hang on me whenever I try and search them.

Dungeon 110

Best,
Nick

Last edited:

Remove ads