• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn Senses as a Racial Trait

Keenberg

First Post
Does it make sense to anyone else that dragonborn do not get low-light vision as a racial trait? I'm likely giving at least this much to the dragonborn characters in my game, if not the whole Dragonborn Senses feat (PH pg 194.) Would anyone really say this is unfair to the rest of the races?

Benlo

First Post
I dunno about unfair, but Dragonborn are already easily among the strongest races. They don't really need the help.

Inyssius

First Post
I dunno about unfair, but Dragonborn are already easily among the strongest races. They don't really need the help.

Yeah.

Not getting darkvision as a racial trait is hardly unfair to the Dragonborn; they're already a very strong race, they have fantastic racial feats--and they can even get darkvision through the feat you mentioned, which few other characters can do.

But if you think it makes sense in-universe, go right ahead; darkvision is really more of a fluff thing than a part of any game-balance equation anyway (at least, unless you ban sunrods).

Keenberg

First Post
Just to clear things up, the feat grants low-light vision rather than darkvision, and sunrods have a duration as well. My dragonborn player likes to count all his ammo and supplies, so it would make a difference to him. I'll leave the option up to him: if he wants low-light vision, he can have it. I'll leave out the +1 perception bonus the feat grants though. There is really no need to further buff a race that is already quite powerful.

So here is my final a proposition: If someone is playing a dragonborn and wants low-light vision, they may have it at 1st level as a racial trait, free of charge. So that this doesn't make the Dragonborn Senses feat any less desirable, they may take this alternative:

Attuned Dragonborn Senses
Whether you are the descendant of a wonderously powerful dragon, or your heritage is more recent, your draconic heritage is stronger than normal.
Effect: Instead of low-light vision, you have darkvision. Gain a +1 to Perception checks.

Last edited:

Inyssius

First Post
Ooh, seconded.

(As for sunrods: sure, they have a duration, but it's 4 hours; they weigh a measly pound each; ten of them cost no more than a single first-level shot of holy water; and for the price of one first-level magic item, you can flood a whole football field with bright light for one hundred and thirty straight hours. So after about fourth level, in my experience, dealing with darkness just ceases to be an issue unless I ban or reduce the supply of the damned things.:))

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd argue against handing out darkvision for a single feat. It basically means that any other race who wants to use stealth need not apply.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Yep, background effect: low-light-vision sounds like a well-balanced approach for this. If you do play it that way, I wouldn't even adjust the feat in question; leave it as-written for any other Dragonborn character, and leave it underpowered for our hero.

If he wants an optimized "Perception" build, he takes background: Perception +2, then spends the feat for low-light and a further +1 ... if he's happy with low-light, he gets it, and has the feat to spend elsewhere, e.g., Toughness or Improved Initiative.

Keenberg

First Post
I'd argue against handing out darkvision for a single feat. It basically means that any other race who wants to use stealth need not apply.

Stealth can just as easily be roleplayed as hiding behind a corner, ducking under a bed, or camouflaging yourself out in the field. It is in no way limited to hiding in the shadows. In this mindset the feat I proposed doesn't cheapen stealth at all. It provides a flavor option to a character. Perhaps you are right about granting dark vision without enough cost, though. I'll try to address this as we continue...

Maybe give them low-light vision (or Dragonborn Senses) in place of a background option? This way at least they are still giving something up for it.

While noting that the RAW only let background benefits grant one skill bonus, one additional language, one additional skill as a class skill, or a regional benefit, I'm going to go against the grain. Here is the effect in background form:

Background
Dragonborn - Pure Lineage
Your lineage is someway more pure than that of other Dragonborns, and your senses prove it. How you rationalize this is dependent on how you believe the dragonborn race came to be. It could be that during the creation of the dragonborn, Io affixed an astral spirit to your family's line which explains it all. You may hold that you are a direct descendant of those born from the spilled blood of Io at the Dawn War. Perhaps you believe your heritage is a few generations more recent than most, and flows with more of Io's blood.

As with any other background, you may choose one background benefit from the following:
Associated Trait: Low-light vision
Associated Skill: Perception (gain a +2 to perception or add Perception to your class skills)
This does not diminish the attraction of original Dragonborn Senses feat option too greatly, while allowing for specialization with this revision of the "Attuned Dragonborn Senses" feat:

Attuned Dragonborn Senses
You have attuned to your draconic heritage. The blood of Io is certainly with all dragonborns, but you are with it.
Prerequisites: Dragonborn, low-light vision
Effect: Instead of low-light vision, you have darkvision. Gain a +1 to Perception checks.
To Saeviomagy: Does this seem more reasonable? It is no longer "handing out darkvision for a single feat," due to the prerequisites. To meet the prereqs, the background could first be taken with low-light vision chosen as the benefit. Alternatively, the original Dragonborn Senses feat grants the prereqs to a character who wants to specialize in perception. So even if you rule that dark-vision negates stealth, the build would have required devotion and sacrifice for that advantage.

Remove ads