Dragonlance Dragonlance: Best Sources?

I just wish there were a one stop campaign setting set somewhere after the War of the Lance but before the crazy stuff, that isn't the one they actually made that changed a lot of lore.

I mean, with Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk, if you don't like what the metaplot did, you can buy a campaign setting from before then. If you want to do that with Dragonlance, you have to have a library of books and piece together the setting yourself.

Dioltach

Legend
I just wish there were a one stop campaign setting set somewhere after the War of the Lance but before the crazy stuff, that isn't the one they actually made that changed a lot of lore.

If I'm not mistaken, Legends of the Twins has some information about alternative campaign settings, including if the War of the Lance had been lost or if Raistlin had defeated Takhisis. Not sure that's what you're looking for, but it's something.

I mean, with Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk, if you don't like what the metaplot did, you can buy a campaign setting from before then. If you want to do that with Dragonlance, you have to have a library of books and piece together the setting yourself.

So you want a setting where sorcerers and bards (and arguably paladins, druids, and rangers) don't exist because their magic was a direct result of the crazy stuff being introduced, dragon born and goblins are considered unequivically evil mindless slaves bound to an evil god (kind of the opposite of what modern Wizards has committed to with their recent press statements), the "bad" knights are utterly defeated and gone (a reminder that the Knights of Takhisis/Neraka are part of that "crazy stuff" you claim to hate), and is set during what is likely the largest time of uninterrupted peace for like the last three centuries of the planet? Seems great for storytelling using the modern 5e toolkit to me!

As a slightly less sarcastic response, I again acknowledge that a lot of fans weren't happy with some of the choices they made with Age of Mortals. Still you'd be incredibly hard pressed justify why up until the Summer of Flame/Chaos War wasn't a good idea from both a meta narrative standpoint and an ingame plotline. For better or worse it made the game actually playable with modern rules, many of which are still in the modern toolset. Additionally, the events leading up to it created the new "evil" knight order, which is kind of a big source of needed conflict for the setting in the long run.

That said, nothing saying you cannot run a game set right at the start of what would be an Age of Mortals game and say screw the books! Take the 3.5 campaign setting guide and make alterations to set the story right after the Chaos War ends. Make it so Tahkisis did not steal the world and instead they just defeated Chaos and all went their separate ways to scheme and rebuild.

Either throw out the map listed there and use the map from War of the Lance, or alternatively find different explanations for why the big swamp, and deserts in the north and south are there, and the desolation exists (as opposed to being made by dragon overlords) and you have your setting. Call it a result of lingering magic from Chaos or something. The destruction of the Elven (and Dwarven) homelands aren't even shown on the map so you can set whatever changes (or lack thereof) to their cultures you wish.

Frankly from the perspective adapting the 3.5 guide to a 5e game, aside from ignore a few descriptions of stuff in some ruins and handful of map references there isn't even much else you'd have to ignore, all the rules for classes and whatnot are now outdated and unnecessary now anyway.

Voadam

Legend

You should probably check out The Player's Guide to Dragonlance which is a 128 page 2e introduction and overview of the setting post-War of the Lance but pre-Dragons of Summer Flame. Check out the product history write up in the link.

Alternately there is the previous 208 page Tales of the Lance boxed set which does mostly the same. Lots of flavor text even if you are not interested in the 2e barbarian and cavalier class write ups.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
The 3.5 books are excellent, very crunchy but they capture the flavor of Dragonlance very well. it includes sourcebooks to play in any era of the setting too. even if the default setting is Age of Mortals.

You should probably check out The Player's Guide to Dragonlance which is a 128 page 2e introduction and overview of the setting post-War of the Lance but pre-Dragons of Summer Flame. Check out the product history write up in the link.

Alternately there is the previous 208 page Tales of the Lance boxed set which does mostly the same. Lots of flavor text even if you are not interested in the 2e barbarian and cavalier class write ups.

Unfortunately Tales of the Lance (and I think the Player's Guide was written to go with it?), while it should have been exactly what I want, in fact changed a lot of the lore unnecessarily. (See here for a extensive list of changes that helped me decide it's not for me.)

The 3.5 books are excellent, very crunchy but they capture the flavor of Dragonlance very well. it includes sourcebooks to play in any era of the setting too. even if the default setting is Age of Mortals.

Which one covers the post-War of the Lance, pre-Chaos War era?

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Sword of Spirit said:
Which one covers the post-War of the Lance, pre-Chaos War era?

War of the Lance has a bit about running games after the war. The 3.5 campaign setting has info on the chaos war (and the war of the lance too)

War of the Lance has a bit about running games after the war. The 3.5 campaign setting has info on the chaos war (and the war of the lance too)

I have the 3.5 Campaign Setting, but I need geographical and other information based before the Chaos War (and a good map of the Age of Despair), but its info and maps are set in the Age of Mortals.

Danzauker

Adventurer
I haven't read the 3.5 sourcebooks but I have read ttje compiled War od the Lance adventures and I think it's the best adaptation of the saga for playing and DMing.

I have the 1E modules, but I have to say, maybe I got ould or spoiled by new standard of adventure presentation, rereading them I got lost and tired of having to read every single line in order to make out the plot progression.

The 3.5 version is basically the exact same story, but plot overviews, character profiles and other additional material makes the story much, much clearer to follow IMHO. If I were to run it for 5E I'd use that.

Remove ads