Dragonlance Dragonlance Philosophy thread

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
And the Authors and several characters in the books and some of your peers on this site…

“I’m right and Everyone else is wrong.”
"Everyone else"? Who's saying "everyone else". We're saying "The Kingpriest cannot be called 'good' in any correct meaning of the word, and the fact that the setting and a Good God says he is shows how much Dragonlance misuses morality".

Eubani

Legend
I wish the books discussed more about the rules and restrictions the gods operated under as this may provide more nuance to the rock throwing incident.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
A lot of the trouble with Dragonlance's morality comes down to the alignment system, obviously. The alignment system is notoriously bad at actually representing anything as complicated as morality remotely well. Alignment in D&D started out as Moorcock's law vs chaos and did a weird thing where it took basically the same concepts and labeled them good and evil...but also kept the words law and chaos just to make things complicated. But law =/= good and chaos =/= evil.

If we replace "good" with the original "law," then swap out "evil" for the original "chaos" things clear up rather nicely.

The Kingpriest was concerned about law, people following the law, and with upholding the law. He didn't care about morality (clearly) he cared about order. People following the rules. He was an authoritarian. His motivations might have been good, maybe...initially, but his fanaticism for order at any price twisted him from good to evil.

This also helps the idea of maintaining balance actually make sense. Too much order is bad, just like too much chaos is bad.

And all this because people can't see the potential for evil in order or the potential for good in chaos.

Yes, I'm aware this isn't how it's presented officially. So what? The novel version is simplistic and kinda dumb.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Uh...maybe read the whole post before commenting.
I did. I just thought it was strange that you asked why people were complaining and then immediately said the reason why people are complaining without realizing it.
Cool. I agree with you and I explained why it's dumb and bad in the post you didn't read.
??? I've been on the side of "The Cataclysm as written is dumb and bad" discussion for months now. I just thought that the "So what?" was strange.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I did. I just thought it was strange that you asked why people were complaining and then immediately said the reason why people are complaining without realizing it.

??? I've been on the side of "The Cataclysm as written is dumb and bad" discussion for months now. I just thought that the "So what?" was strange.
Here, try it again...only this time don't skip over the sentence immediately before the rhetorical question.
Yes, I'm aware this isn't how it's presented officially. So what?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Here, try it again...only this time don't skip over the sentence immediately before the rhetorical question.
I read that. Nevermind, I'm not even going to try anymore. I agree with you that the Cataclysm as presented (and Dragonlance's take on morality in general) is dumb and bad. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I read that. Nevermind, I'm not even going to try anymore. I agree with you that the Cataclysm as presented (and Dragonlance's take on morality in general) is dumb and bad. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Again, maybe make a version for your own game (you know, the part of this that matters the most to a lot of posters) that isn't "dumb and bad". Problem solved. Plenty of ideas out there for that already.

Remove ads