Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
Technically, and from a meta-position, of course it is. But it's not meant to be a retelling of that story. It's just supposed to invoke the same feelings that the original story.
Yup.

And largely evoke the same discussions as well.

Hussar

Legend
I just realized, after seeing someone mention paladins, that the story of the Cataclysm is a gaming story about playing a paladin in 1e D&D. Bear with me as I wind up the wayback machine...

Our story begins with the group of nine PC's at the edge of the lands of the Baron. The Baron is a very charismatic leader whose people adore him and venerate him. He is also attempting to open a portal which will bring an Elder Being into the world in 14 days that will destroy much of the world. Our heroes are here to stop him.

Paladin: Ok, guys, let's go.

13 failed attempts later, the group, very discouraged debates what to do.

Paladin: I know a guy. We'll send him in. He can do it.

DM: roll roll roll Sorry, no, he failed to get the job done. You've got one day left. What do you do?

MU player: Y'know, I've got this scroll that I've been saving. Ultimate Meteor Swarm. It will turn the entire lands of Baron into a smoking crater.

Paladin: But, that will kill everyone.

MU Player: Yeah, but, what choice do we have at this point?

Paladin: Ok. You're right. Read the scroll.

BooM

DM: (Turning to the Paladin player): Ok, your god appears to you and formally strips you of your paladin hood. You can never be a paladin again.

Paladin: But, I stopped the ritual.

DM: But, you also killed all those people. Totally evil dude. You could have tried something else.

Paladin: We tried 13 different things. Nothing worked.

DM: You could have snuck into his castle and killed him while he's asleep.

Paladin: I'm a paladin. That would totally be out of character and an evil thing to do.

DM: True, you would have sacrificed your paladin hood for the greater good. Would have been an epic story. As it is, now you're a fighter.

Paladin: Screw this. There was no right answer. You totally paladin trapped me. I'm out of here! Anyone with me?

Everyone: Yeah, this sucks. Let's go. We're out of here.

DM: ((After everyone leaves)) They'll be back. Might take 300 years, but, they'll be back.

/End Scene.

They're primarily wanderers who "handle" (steal) things. That's actually the only connection to the (bigoted myths about) Romani. They don't otherwise have anything in common with them--not like the Vistani, who were deliberately made to be Romani knock-offs.
also the wanderlust and the 'they don't know any better'
look i don't want to litigate this again, people who are Romani think it is too close

Vaalingrade

Legend
I just realized, after seeing someone mention paladins, that the story of the Cataclysm is a gaming story about playing a paladin in 1e D&D. Bear with me as I wind up the wayback machine...

Our story begins with the group of nine PC's at the edge of the lands of the Baron. The Baron is a very charismatic leader whose people adore him and venerate him. He is also attempting to open a portal which will bring an Elder Being into the world in 14 days that will destroy much of the world. Our heroes are here to stop him.

Paladin: Ok, guys, let's go.

13 failed attempts later, the group, very discouraged debates what to do.

Paladin: I know a guy. We'll send him in. He can do it.

DM: roll roll roll Sorry, no, he failed to get the job done. You've got one day left. What do you do?

MU player: Y'know, I've got this scroll that I've been saving. Ultimate Meteor Swarm. It will turn the entire lands of Baron into a smoking crater.

Paladin: But, that will kill everyone.

MU Player: Yeah, but, what choice do we have at this point?

Paladin: Ok. You're right. Read the scroll.

BooM

DM: (Turning to the Paladin player): Ok, your god appears to you and formally strips you of your paladin hood. You can never be a paladin again.

Paladin: But, I stopped the ritual.

DM: But, you also killed all those people. Totally evil dude. You could have tried something else.

Paladin: We tried 13 different things. Nothing worked.

DM: You could have snuck into his castle and killed him while he's asleep.

Paladin: I'm a paladin. That would totally be out of character and an evil thing to do.

DM: True, you would have sacrificed your paladin hood for the greater good. Would have been an epic story. As it is, now you're a fighter.

Paladin: Screw this. There was no right answer. You totally paladin trapped me. I'm out of here! Anyone with me?

Everyone: Yeah, this sucks. Let's go. We're out of here.

DM: ((After everyone leaves)) They'll be back. Might take 300 years, but, they'll be back.

/End Scene.
I'm just gonna say that you're the one calling the writing of the Cataclysm bad, not me.

So people can accuse you of not having read enough DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads