Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
In the video yesterday the WotC guys made sure to use the word "Reimagined" when describing the new Dragonlance stuff coming soon to a store near you!

Already we've seen changes to Kender and the "Mages" of High Sorcery and how they conduct themselves and the robes they wear. Oh and the magic moon gods and how they function... and the pretty much all the gods and how they function.

Is HAVING to test (or be considered a renegade to be hunted down) once a "Mage" reaches a certain level even going to be a thing?

But what else was mentioned?

Soth on a Death Dragon and his Draconians charge into Solomnia.

Well, Soth rode a Nightmare and the only troops he generally brought with him was his Skeleton Warriors (who were his men in life who died with him).

A Dragon Highlord like Kitiara would be on a dragon leading Draconians (as she actually did on the city of Palanthas in Solomnia). Now, Soth WAS there. While Kit was doing her thing, he and his Skel Warriors were doing their thing.

Are they just sticking one of the most famous female characters in the Dragonlance lore to the side to give the better known Soth more spotlight?

The Knights of Solomnia were sexist. This changed after the War of the Lance. It's brought up several times in various novels how backwards it is. Even in the current just released novel it's brought up and actually a driving force behind the plot of the story. In the new 5th ed adventure book comes out it mentions one of the main characters is a female knight "like Brienne of Tarth".

But Darkcrisis, that's a good change! Yes it is.... BUT it takes a piece away of how broken and backwards Krynn was for a long time. Every race and civilization had MASSIVE faults they didn't start to over come until they were brought together to face the true evil (see also Lord of the Rings). Another good example is that prior to the War a lot of the races (elves, dwarves, humans mostly) were a little extra xenophobic. Even the 3 main factions of elves didn't like each other (one even enslaved another) and the 2 main factions of Dwarves basically had a death feud going on. Changing any or all of that takes away from the success they all find together.

The Solomnic Knights realizing they need to find a better way and reinterpret their codes and rules. Especially when they put a female elf more or less in charge temporarily. A Female AND an elf? That's some growth.

But again I get it. The campaign book is during the war and any woman she be able to play a female knight of Solomnia if she wishes. Im all for it. My 2E Dragonlance campaign I'm currently running is set about 6 months after the War and I was perfectly fine with any of the girls in the group playing a female knight character.

I only bring it up because its a "reimagining" changes post.

Even a hint at the Draconians being different. A race created by evil with evil magic to be evil soldiers and didn't get out form under that yoke until they were freed from the influence of all that evil.. again takes away from them and from the stories. Not to mention what that means for the Good Metallica Dragons who don't join the fight for awhile due their connection to the Draconians and how they feel about them. But sure, lets just "Drizzt" a few for reasons.

Honestly it feels like they are going to gut the themes of the campaign world and just go for "Here is our fantasy version of Saving Private Ryan". Dragonlance isn't just about the War of the Lance. Yeah it's a big part of it but that's very much "Missing the forest for the trees."

Making the Kender just slightly different Halflings, makes the Wizards of High Sorcery yet just another generic group of wizards and making the Solomnic Knights just yet another generic group of Knights and good draconians and possible getting rid of all the bad blood between the Elves and Dwarves and Humans and amongst themselves.

Edit: More: What Is Dragonlance? A World on the Brink of Destruction
Wow.

Kingpriest(s). Last one wanted to be a god. No mentioned of the gods turning their backs on Krynn for a long while.... which completely invalidates Goldmoon and the Blue Crystal staff and the return of the gods and clerical magic...

You dont have to join the Towers of High srocery. Purely optional, nothing bad will happen to you.

Ranger and Barbarian Knights of Solomnia. Interesting how a Barbarian might interpret the Oath and the Measure. LOL. Wow.

Wow.

Am I missing anything shown recently?

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
A lot of that was inevitable. WotC have taken the view (rightly, IMO) that a large part of their customer base deal with far too much racism, sexism, and homophobia in their everyday lives and just don't want that stuff appearing in their entertainment (even racism between entirely fictional groups). Also, quite a lot of the original Dragonlance is strongly influenced by Hickman's Mormon faith, which gives another chunk of material to be quietly de-emphasized.

So, yeah, there's going to be a pretty heavy revision being done, and it is going to strongly move towards supporting war stories and away from the strongly dualistic good vs evil morality of the originals.

Interesting. I am unaware of any Dragonlance product that keeps track of Lord Soth minute by minute during the War of the Lance so that we could be 100% sure that this never happened.

The early part of the campaign in Solamnia isn't very well documented. So, for all we know, there was a part with Lord Soth leading a draconian army on an undead dragon. Just because he at other points used nightmares and skeletal warriors doesn't mean he always did....

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
A lot of that was inevitable. WotC have taken the view (rightly, IMO) that a large part of their customer base deal with far too much racism, sexism, and homophobia in their everyday lives and just don't want that stuff appearing in their entertainment (even racism between entirely fictional groups). Also, quite a lot of the original Dragonlance is strongly influenced by Hickman's Mormon faith, which gives another chunk of material to be quietly de-emphasized.

So, yeah, there's going to be a pretty heavy revision being done, and it is going to strongly move towards supporting war stories and away from the strongly dualistic good vs evil morality of the originals.
Its funny but I think he still denies the Mormon influences despite the similarities. I don't see why WotC would care though or make a point to dismiss any of it.

I imagine they'll massively retcon or even delete/never mention the backstory with the Kingpriest and the Cataclysm too, because honestly it just paints the gods of Krynn as repulsive genocidal monsters.

Honestly a reimagined Krynn sounds great to me, but I was always primarily a Taladas fan.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I imagine they'll massively retcon or even delete/never mention the backstory with the Kingpriest and the Cataclysm too, because honestly it just paints the gods of Krynn as repulsive genocidal monsters.

Honestly a reimagined Krynn sounds great to me, but I was always primarily a Taladas fan.
You have a real world major belief system that has a God that drowned the whole world once.

Typically Gods do things for reasons mere mortals cant comprehend

You have a real world major belief system that has a God that drowned the whole world once.

Typically Gods do things for reasons mere mortals cant comprehend
I'm well aware, and I'm certain the Flood was the inspiration for Cataclysm. But that's the thing - you can claim to be in charge, you can claim to be righteous if you do that sort of thing, but you can't claim to be Good by the meaning of Good in D&D, because that doesn't allow for murdering millions of innocents because you're also killing some bad dudes (even if they outnumber the innocents).

And the Dragonlance gods are explicitly comprehensible and explained their reasoning. It was just utter bollocks that makes monsters of them (in the earliest pre-retcon form).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads