Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I've always said to people who kept wishing for their favorite campaign settings to be redone for 5E... "Be careful what you wish for".

So for anyone listening who is a diehard Dark Sun fan... if you have your old 2E Dark Sun material... use it! Right now. Take an hour or two to create whatever little mechanical do-hickies you need to get the few new rules to work... but otherwise, use everything from your old stuff to create your game. Cause you ain't gonna like a lot of stuff WotC puts into their re-do if/when Dark Sun gets made for 5E.
I don't know about this. I mean I'm not saying you're wrong. But I think it's like, do you want a purist vision, or would you be happy with a reimagining which got the spirit of the setting even if the specifics were changed?

Personally I'm the latter. Like, I love Dark Sun, and the first box version of Dark Sun, but in the course of arguing about Dark Sun I realized, actually, if they reimagined Dark Sun, even if they eliminated psionics, if they still got the core ideas right, if they didn't undermine the environmentalist aspects, if they kept that Mad Max meets Dejah Thoris vibe, then I wouldn't mind.

Likewise I always liked Dragonlance despite having some major reservations about the specifics. I will never not love Solamnic Knights. So this sounds like a good deal for me because it's likely to deal with reservations I've had since literally the 1980s!

Even with Planescape, which I love to pieces, I won't mind if the actual Factions are different, say, like if my precious Sensates get renamed or even are MIA (though that would be sad), but if they keep the basic concept, get it right, have cool Factions, have the Lady of Pain, have Sigil as the centre of the multiverse (basically confirmed by 1D&D yay!), and so on, I'll be okay.

delericho

Legend
But like I said, they'll retcon it to be something the Kingpriest himself did, or they'll just not mention it at all.
Honestly, I'll be quite surprised if they detail the history of the setting at all. That sort of lore seems to be almost entirely absent these days, to make room for more game-able material. (Which I think is probably the right call, especially if they're cutting page counts.)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Quite frankly I'm just surprised so many other people seem shocked when this keeps happening. And yet we still constantly had people wanting Spelljammer 5E to be a thing, or Planescape 5E to be a thing, or Greyhawk 5E to some day be a thing.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't know about this. I mean I'm not saying you're wrong. But I think it's like, do you want a purist vision, or would you be happy with a reimagining which got the spirit of the setting even if the specifics were changed?

Personally I'm the latter. Like, I love Dark Sun, and the first box version of Dark Sun, but in the course of arguing about Dark Sun I realized, actually, if they reimagined Dark Sun, even if they eliminated psionics, if they still got the core ideas right, if they didn't undermine the environmentalist aspects, if they kept that Mad Max meets Dejah Thoris vibe, then I wouldn't mind.
You're one of the lucky ones then. And I also think one of the few. ;)

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Not true. The "Time of the Dragon" set that intoduced the continent of Taladas (as mentioned by @Ruin Explorer ) indicates that the destruction on that continent was extensive.
Wasn't Taladas, TSRs attempt to move away from what Weis and Hickman established and have a fresh slate. While I get TSR went along with it I'd call it practically non-canon as it was a fresh slate area to entice people away from the War of the Lance stuff.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
It's a little different though, yeah?

By completely sidestepping Krynn they are going to avoid changing alot that (most) people care about.

In the case of Spelljammer too, the changes they made most people didn't really object to, it's what they left out altogether due to the reduced page count that's the biggest complaint from what I've seen.

And yeah Ravenloft is very much the best example here. If you like Planescape as it is, just hope they don't use Van Richten's as a guide.
What did Van Richens do? (I stopped buying 5E books and just kept the core 3)

delericho

Legend
Wasn't Taladas, TSRs attempt to move away from what Weis and Hickman established and have a fresh slate. While I get TSR went along with it I'd call it practically non-canon as it was a fresh slate area to entice people away from the War of the Lance stuff.
Maybe. Or maybe they felt they'd been burned on having too many new settings, and so this time they were going to try marketing their 'new' setting under an established brand to see if it did better. Or something.

Honestly, I don't really know what they were thinking. I'm not entirely convinced that they did. :)

Honestly, I'll be quite surprised if they detail the history of the setting at all. That sort of lore seems to be almost entirely absent these days, to make room for more game-able material. (Which I think is probably the right call, especially if they're cutting page counts.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads