Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the video yesterday the WotC guys made sure to use the word "Reimagined" when describing the new Dragonlance stuff coming soon to a store near you!
I hope all settings get reimagined with modern story and game themes.
But the Kender absolutely needed to change. If just for not leading to intra-party homicide reasons.
as a 100% kender fan in the novels who is a 100% kender hater at the table I agree.

delericho

Legend
I'm well aware, and I'm certain the Flood was the inspiration for Cataclysm. But that's the thing - you can claim to be in charge, you can claim to be righteous if you do that sort of thing, but you can't claim to be Good by the meaning of Good in D&D, because that doesn't allow for murdering millions of innocents because you're also killing some bad dudes (even if they outnumber the innocents).
Well, except that the D&D definition of "Good" has always been nonsense. The 1st Ed "Dragonlance Adventures" has the Kingpriest tagged as Lawful Good despite running an actively genocidal theocracy that was only stopped from introducing thought control by those same gods dropping a huge rock on him.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I'm well aware, and I'm certain the Flood was the inspiration for Cataclysm. But that's the thing - you can claim to be in charge, you can claim to be righteous if you do that sort of thing, but you can't claim to be Good by the meaning of Good in D&D, because that doesn't allow for murdering millions of innocents because you're also killing some bad dudes (even if they outnumber the innocents).

And the Dragonlance gods are explicitly comprehensible and explained their reasoning. It was just utter bollocks that makes monsters of them (in the earliest pre-retcon form).
To be fair to the Krynn Gods, they only destroyed one region, where their main problem child and his followers lived. Then they just stopped answering magical prayers.

The fact that (almost) everyone got mad at them for not answering their prayers anymore, kind of proves the gods point/action.

Well, except that the D&D definition of "Good" has always been nonsense. The 1st Ed "Dragonlance Adventures" has the Kingpriest tagged as Lawful Good despite running an actively genocidal theocracy that was only stopped from introducing thought control by those same gods dropping a huge rock on him.
Disagree.

The 1E definition of Good and Evil was utterly round the bend because Gygax and others had completely outdated (even for the time) morals (c.f. Gygax's repeated justification of genocide as a "necessity").

In later editions the definition was usually only bad where it was grandfathered in from 1E. In 5E the definition is fine. But there's no way you get to say "I'm Bahamut and I'm Lawful Good and I decided to genocide millions of people to nail one dude!". If nothing else it's richly redolent of the worst kind of "blow up a wedding to kill a terrorist" kind of imperialism which people object to being in games for similar reasons to racism, sexism, etc.

To be fair to the Krynn Gods, they only destroyed one region, where their main problem child and his followers lived. Then they just stopped answering magical prayers.

The fact that (almost) everyone got mad at them for not answering their prayers anymore, kind of proves the gods point/action.
They still killed millions (presumably including countless innocents, particularly children) on both the impact side and the blow-through side of the planet. The hole in the middle of Taladas is truly astonishing.

But like I said, they'll retcon it to be something the Kingpriest himself did, or they'll just not mention it at all.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This is why I've always said to people who kept wishing for their favorite campaign settings to be redone for 5E... "Be careful what you wish for".

So for anyone listening who is a diehard Dark Sun fan... if you have your old 2E Dark Sun material... use it! Right now. Take an hour or two to create whatever little mechanical do-hickies you need to get the few new rules to work... but otherwise, use everything from your old stuff to create your game. Cause you ain't gonna like a lot of stuff WotC puts into their re-do if/when Dark Sun gets made for 5E.

delericho

Legend
This is why I've always said to people who kept wishing for their favorite campaign settings to be redone for 5E... "Be careful what you wish for".

So for anyone listening who is a diehard Dark Sun fan... if you have your old 2E Dark Sun material... use it! Right now. Take an hour or two to create whatever little mechanical do-hickies you need to get the few new rules to work... but otherwise, use everything from your old stuff to create your game. Cause you ain't gonna like a lot of stuff WotC puts into their re-do if/when Dark Sun gets made for 5E.
Sadly, I agree. After Ravenloft and Spelljammer, there's a big part of me that's glad I'm no longer a Dragonlance fan.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Sadly, I agree. After Ravenloft and Spelljammer, there's a big part of me that's glad I'm no longer a Dragonlance fan.
It's a little different though, yeah?

By completely sidestepping Krynn they are going to avoid changing alot that (most) people care about.

In the case of Spelljammer too, the changes they made most people didn't really object to, it's what they left out altogether due to the reduced page count that's the biggest complaint from what I've seen.

And yeah Ravenloft is very much the best example here. If you like Planescape as it is, just hope they don't use Van Richten's as a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads