• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormonu

Legend
Dragonlance kept me from backing out at the end of 1E, so I'm happy to see it again.

But if you want to talk about something that DESTROYED it for me, let's talk about SAGA and Dragons of Summer Flame and all that came after.

So far, the changes they've proposed aren't the dealbreakers to me that the above were. I'm not quite on board with the proposed Kender changes, but most of the others seem minor to me. We all knew Gully Dwarves were/are going to get a big change (if not get stricken outright). The Knights still seem the knights and I haven't seen anything yet that dismisses the High Towers or the Test, and the moons are still the Magic Moons (honestly, tracking the moon phases effect on magic back in the days of 1E/2E was a pain in the neck).

If you want a more classical approach to Dragonlance, I highly recommend the Dragonlance Nexus's Tasslehoff's Pockets of Everything. WotC's upcoming stuff is just a variant on that official product, with some additional stuff to do and a mass battle game for me.

Haplo781

Legend
L
Quite frankly I'm just surprised so many other people seem shocked when this keeps happening. And yet we still constantly had people wanting Spelljammer 5E to be a thing, or Planescape 5E to be a thing, or Greyhawk 5E to some day be a thing.
Lore is system-agnostic. You can port over whatever you want from 1st-4th and the various Basic incarnations. But rules are a lot harder.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Its all set up. I liked it. Especially when the time travel stuff kicks and and the original Heroes "return". The next book should have them in it a lot. Can't wait. Seeing Raistlin and Sturm bicker again with all new material. Good stuff.

I found the interaction of the "old" companions by far the best part(s) of the book - that was worth it (and hit right in the nostalgia).

I was not particularly happy with the progression of the protagonist. And I hated the whole plot with Tas - he's a kender but he is NOT that stupid, it was just too much.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This is why I've always said to people who kept wishing for their favorite campaign settings to be redone for 5E... "Be careful what you wish for".

So for anyone listening who is a diehard Dark Sun fan... if you have your old 2E Dark Sun material... use it! Right now. Take an hour or two to create whatever little mechanical do-hickies you need to get the few new rules to work... but otherwise, use everything from your old stuff to create your game. Cause you ain't gonna like a lot of stuff WotC puts into their re-do if/when Dark Sun gets made for 5E.
Yeah, Ravenloft already burned me on 5e's "reimagining". I don't trust them anymore. Fooled me once...

Vaalingrade

Legend
DL was the first setting I ever played in and I red the books before ever knowing what a Dungeons and Dragons was.

And... I am honestly shocked that they even attempted to bring it forward. It's Values Dissonance: the Setting with those dissonant values seemingly being the core theme alongside comic relief that fails to land because of MORE Values Dissonance.

I feel like the pivot to focusing on the war setting is for the best even if honestly in my experience, the War was kind of like a sitcom neighbor to the main story -- barging into the story every once in a while to get its paycheck. IT's just better than constantly having to deal with all the terrible stuff that was the focus before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads