Dragon's Delve by Archon Adept - A Dungeonaday.com Adventure [IC]

Archon Adept

First Post
The Journey Begins

In the middle of an area now known as the Fallen Duchy, the environs of Dragon's Delve include many overgrown (and sometimes forgotten) ruins. The Duchy of Chordille fell almost 100 years ago, and compared to those happier days, the region now lays as an almost uninhabited wilderness.

At the center of the Fallen Duchy lie the ruins of Chordille Keep (which itself provides entrance to Dragon's Delve). This ruin offers no intact structures--only vine-grasped piles of stones, overgrown outlines of foundations, and the furtive hint of walls and arches. The entrance to the dungeon itself is little more than an twenty-foot wide open pit with an exposed stone stair that descends into darkness. Various explorers and treasure seekers have left the entrance well-cleared. Likewise, the observant adventurer may notice the remnants of cooking fires and other signs that previous delvers have made camp near this pit.

Chordille Keep rests atop a long, gentle hill known as Bryson's Look. The area grows thick with silver maples, boxelders, and the occasional firethorn. At the north end of Bryson's Look, near the mighty River Turant, lies Brindenford. This small town offers a few amenities to those looking to risk the dangers of Dragon's Delve thanks to its minor importance in trade. Brindenford rests at a major crossing of the Turant for the Queen's Road, upon which travel caravans laden with the spices and salt traveling to the west and those bearing wool and iron goods to the east. Likewise, loggers from the north use the Turant to send wood down to the mills to the south, and Brindenford offers a landing for this process as well.

Brindenford lies approximately two miles from the ruins of Chordille Keep. Most folk of the town know better than to go there, fearing the very real tales of orcs and goblins lurking there, and the more fanciful (but still possibly true) tales of evil spirits and curses that haunt that sad place. Still, one can't spend an evening in the taproom of the Lost Shepherd Inn, chat with the locals in the hiring hall, or sit with the fishermen on the dock as they complain about the loggers without hearing a rumor or legend about the mysteries that lie within Dragon's Delve.

And so it is for six newfound companions who came together over drinks in the common room of the Lost Shepherd Inn. Each had come to Brindenford alone, drawn by tales of the great dungeon beneath the ruined keep, and the wealth and secrets to be found within. Fueled by the rumors heard from the folk of Brindenford, they realized that the chances of survival were better together than they could ever be as individuals. And now, Clip, Justin, Robert, Dorian, Bellus, and Illian stand amidst the ruins of the keep on the hill. In the light of the morning sun they gaze upon the old stone stair that leads down into the earth, leading to glory...or death. This is the Dragon's Delve.

All righty, here we go. Let's role-play a bit to introduce the characters better, and then down you go. Don't forget to light a torch... ;)

hafrogman

Adventurer
Justin looks over the staircase descending down into darkness, nervously licking his lips.

"So. . . I guess this is the place, then. Not much to look at."

He brushes his hand against the hilt of his sword, reassuring himself of its presence and still trying to adapt to its weight at his side. His gaze darts upwards from the stairs and flickers around the surrounding ruins.

"It was pretty easy getting here. There must be something pretty nasty down there. Otherwise everybody would have picked the place clean by now, what with the entrance being just right here in the open."

renau1g

First Post
"Agreed, we gotta be careful" the wild elf Illian says as he stares down into the darkness, wishing he had the abilities of a dwarf to see in the dark.

"I was warned this was a place of evil, but it seems we are not the first to be here." Illian continues, as he unsheathes his longsword and straps on his heavy wooden shield, decorated with a rather crudely painted copper dragon.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Bellus Mughandle

Standing somewhat apart from the rest of the group, Bellus Mughandle leans his hairy cheek against his longspear's haft. He gently runs stubby fingers over the remnants of a column.

"Amazing!" he calls to the others. "I think this is Late Tertiary, but the wall appears to be Mid-Quaternary. This must've been an astounding structure! Reminiscent perhaps of the Thalesian School."

The warmage pats the pile of rocks and chuckles before waddling over to the group to stare down into the dungeon entrance. He walks around the hole, pausing here and there to cluck his tongue.

"Well, this appears unremarkable enough. Who's first?"

[sblock=Just Because Dice Rolls]
Knowledge (architecture), Knowledge (dungeoneering), and Search related to unusual stonework, respectively: 1d20+5=11, 1d20+5=12, 1d20+5=8.

:)
[/sblock]

Archon Adept

First Post
[sblock=Just Because Dice Rolls]
Knowledge (architecture), Knowledge (dungeoneering), and Search related to unusual stonework, respectively: 1d20+5=11, 1d20+5=12, 1d20+5=8.

:)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Skill Check Results]The stonework looks rather unremarkable to Bellus...simple granite, rather well worn...but that's nothing unusual, considering the age of the ruins. The steps leading down were constructed by someone who definitely knew what they were doing...it's solid workmanship.[/sblock]

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Bellus Mughandle

Bellus prods a couple of the upper steps with the butt-end of his longspear.

"Granite doesn't seem to be anything special. Stairs look well-made. Sturdy. Quality job. Not quite up to dwarven standards, but still...."

Erekose13

Explorer
"What a glorious day to begin a delve! I've heard that this place goes on and on. We may find things have been cleared right near the stairs but I'm sure we'll find something down there. Come lets enter." replies Dorian. He sets his heavy mace on his shoulder, hefts his heavy shield and prepares to enter the Dragon's Delve. Dorian will lead the way if no one else starts off.

renau1g

First Post
"Stay close to me when we're in there, my patron's power will help you" Illian says, placing a hand on Dorian's shoulder to ensure they all enter together.

[sblock=OOC]
Note that everyone w/in 30' of Illian gains a +1 to Spot/Listen/Initiative
[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Justin peers once more into the darkness.

"So, um. It's really dark down there. Did anyone bring a light, because I was kind of weighed down already, so I don't have a lantern or anything. Should I look around for some branches or something, we could make a torch?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Bellus Mughandle

Bellus shakes his head. "No torches or lanterns here, Justin. Of course, I can see well enough in the dark. Magic light is also within my purview, but it's duration is rather limited. As we head in, I work best either second from the front or second from the rear, assuming we're single file." The warmage double-grips his longspear. "My spear and my spells work best with some distance between me and my foe."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases