D&D General Dragons maybe shouldn't roar.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
If you've ever heard a male lion roar on the savannah in person, it's...spooky. It's not at all what I expected. The MGM thing isn't even close.

If you want to go scientific about these fantasy creatures, allow me to add my 2 cents.

You seem to assume all cavities and lungs are filled with air. But with the dragons of D&D this might not be true? The moment they start roaring, the next thing may be a breath-weapon so all the pipes might be full of fuel (fire), acid or poison. In all cases, it is likely that these molecules are much larger than air, meaning the sound is even lower. Dragons that have a cold or electric breath weapon - well, I don't even know how that works in the first place.

Here's my point about gas heavier than air:

Larnievc

Hero
“As you whirl around, your sword ready, the huge, red, fire-breathing dragon swoops toward you with a ROAR!”

See? Dragons roar.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well, they can talk...in multiple languages. In my imagination they have incredibly sophisticated vocalization.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes, a dragon are not a T-Rex and I doubt they are closely related. A dragon's physiology would be completely different.

So, while I found the videos interesting, especially concerning the T-Rex, dragon's will continue to roar in my games.

Attached is a sound I like myself...

Attachments

• roar.mp3
    120 KB

Remove ads