• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: New D&D Starter Set Is Coming This Year

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning. Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly. In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which...

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning.

Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly.

In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which seems very high for a starter set.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

Retreater

Legend
Would you rather be playing Dungeons and Dragons, or have mad cow disease?
My nonsense SNL reference is a vain attempt to deflect from the (now settled) price controversy.
I guess the non-Will Ferrell inspired question I'd ask is: Do we even need a new Starter Set? Considering:
1) We have two pretty well-received ones already.
2) We have two others that are media tie-in to get fans outside the hobby.
3) There's a forthcoming new edition/revision.

Without knowing much about the upcoming release, I think I can make only the following observations:
1) While we're not the target audience, most of us on this board likely don't need a new Starter Set. (Though new presentation, occasional new rules options, adventures, etc., might be exciting. And we might enjoy buying the product as a gift - like I bought the first one for my nephew as a birthday present several years ago.)
2) If you're a potential new player (or someone outside the hobby buying the set on a whim), what could this set offer that the others do not? (It's not like new players are tired of Phandelver or Icespire Peak. Additionally, there's the danger of a new Starter Set confusing retailers and shoppers who aren't really familiar with the game.) ["A Super Nintendo? We already have a Nintendo at home."]

Obviously bringing in new players is a worthwhile endeavor for the bestselling TTRPG. And perhaps my age/bias/etc. is showing, but I'd like to see Wizards direct effort and products to filling the gaps that exist in 5e before closing the book on this edition (which is going to be coming eventually, whether or not in 2024), just for the sake of completion.

What do we still not have?
1) More than one adventure that explores higher level play.
2) Some of the "staple" campaign settings.

So, yeah, I think the idea of yet another Starter Set is as absurd as eating the moon made of BBQ ribs.

My nonsense SNL reference is a vain attempt to deflect from the (now settled) price controversy.
I guess the non-Will Ferrell inspired question I'd ask is: Do we even need a new Starter Set? Considering:
1) We have two pretty well-received ones already.
2) We have two others that are media tie-in to get fans outside the hobby.
3) There's a forthcoming new edition/revision.

I am not sure we need a new starter set, but I think the first one, while it is quite good does not serve us well as a starter set. It is too deadly right at the start. I have non DnD friends who tried it and were put off by the set.
Right now I play the essentials kit and it serves well, but the sandboxy adventure structure might not be for everyone's taste.
On top I really do think they will sneak in new races and I could see following up with a followup set.

darjr

I crit!
The Starter Set and the Essentials Kit are super popular and sell like hotcakes smothered in honey. Target essentially paid for the Essentials Kits development. And I suspect has something to do with getting this one made.

I just wonder if the older ones are going to go out of print? I’m glad I got them in PDF when WotC gave those away and I’m kinda sorta thinking of getting a copy of each since I’m pretty sure I gave my other ones away.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I just wonder if the older ones are going to go out of print? I’m glad I got them in PDF when WotC gave those away and I’m kinda sorta thinking of getting a copy of each since I’m pretty sure I gave my other ones away.
The Essentials Kit rule booklet is still available at Wizards' website here: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/dnd_essentials_rulebook.pdf

Edit: And the Starter Set rule booklet is still there too: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/dnd_starter_rulebook.pdf

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Both starter sets are better adventures than most of the books..... And cheaper. They can call the starter sets, but they are adventures.

I hope it's isn't tied to the cartoon. I just want adventures.
That’s a good point. They are also fairly small adventures compared to the books.

Huh I wonder if this is conscious decision. Keep them all in print as adventures that also happen to be starter sets?

Remove ads

Remove ads