D&D 5E Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: New D&D Starter Set Is Coming This Year

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys...

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning.

Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly.

In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which seems very high for a starter set.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
$50 for the starter set? I wonder if that's a typo?

Anyone know of a Stormwreck Isle?
Maybe this is a more substantial than usual box? The MSRP of the Starter Set is $19.99, while the Essentials Kit is $24.99, which is $45 combined. Maybe this is a larger Adventure, or has a detailed Setting ala the old Grey Box?

I haven't been able to find any information on a "Stormwreck Isle" in Google outside of this update, and this DMsGuild Module:

darjr

I crit!
Maybe this is a more substantial than usual box? The MSRP of the Starter Set is $19.99, while the Essentials Kit is $24.99, which is $45 combined. Maybe this is a larger Adventure, or has a detailed Setting ala the old Grey Box?

I haven't been able to find any information on a "Stormwreck Isle" in Google outside of this update, and this DMsGuild Module:

$2? Tempting.

Doubt it. Seems reasonable to me . . . considering inflation, and that EVERYTHING is more expensive than it used to be even just a few years ago.
Yeah, and the global supply chain crisis, as discussed in the recent Extra Credits thread...

Still, I'd expect a bit more meat in the box set at that price.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
Surprised this isn't coming with the 2024 re-release, but I liked the Starter Set and Essentials Kit adventures.
Given that the Essentials Kit was a backdoor push of new rules (Sidekicks) that later got expanded upon and reprinted, I wouldn't be surprised if this was our first official taste of some of the rereleased core rules actually, especially if it really does have a $50 price tag.

Some things that stand out to me;

1). The Essentials Kit was differently named, likely because of the smidgen of extra content it had, but this is still labelled as a starter set. I would wager they might try to replace Lost Mine with this one, which while the upfront cost is grisly, I do support since that adventure wasn't quite as amazing as it could've been.

2). I don't know if Stormwreck Isle is actually a place on Toril, but I would also assume this is meant to be setting agnostic so that they can start to fulfill their promise of no longer wheeling and dealing in any one particular setting for "core" content.

Remove ads

Remove ads