D&D 5E Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: New D&D Starter Set Is Coming This Year

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning. Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly. In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which...

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning.

Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly.

In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which seems very high for a starter set.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

Alby87

Adventurer
Based on the image, you can notice that this will be similar to the Starter Set in terms of components (if they had miniatures or card maps, they would have definitely put in the picture). The only thing it seems strange to me is not putting all the dices (Essentials Kit did right putting 4d6 and 2d20). The sheets are also not filled, so probably creation rules there. Sneak rules 5.5 preview? You can bet it will be for races (Tasha's), but for classes, I don't see a value of putting new rules to people who don't know the game and having no useable feedback from them (at least there is a paper slip telling them "Did you like the game? Tell us more and have a free adventure".

About 50$ for me is either one of those things:
1) A mistake. Material wise is a lot less than the Essentials Kit. This kind of document is made in a hurry by a lot of people not directly following all Hasbro lines. PHB is actually 50$, so a copy/paste error.

2) A bad omen. If this goes to 50$, the core books will cost no less than 80$ each, in 2024.

3) Or, and here I'm going totally unfounded speculation. May this set have beta/pre-release Wizards VTT codes to up 1 DM and 5 Player? Not that will be available next to the set release, but when it will be available, you can use those codes for , say, six months worth of subscription.
Remember, Essentials had something in the tune for DNDBeyond. It's too wild of an idea?

teitan

Legend
Where is everyone seeing that this is a starter set, aside from it coming in a box? I thought that starter sets were meant to sit alongside boardgames in stores like Target, and thus be similarly priced. Especially if they keep selling the essentials kit and original starter set, why would a browsing parent buy this box instead of the cheaper alternatives?

Maybe this is just their next AP, but this time coming in a box set rather than a hardcover book. Dragonlance maybe?
Target is now carrying Gloomhaven and some Warhammer Quest games at this price point… we got Everdell at Target for $60.

delericho

Legend
I'll be keen to check this out: the original Starter Set was worth the price of admission for "Lost Mine..." alone, while the Essentials Kit blew that one out of the water in every area except the adventure. So it's not entirely possible that a third set could be the best of both worlds.

Of course, that's also wildly optimistic. :)

mykesfree

Adventurer
If you have purchased a D&D book at either Target, or on that other Website the price is $50.00, but it is discounted. This group of retailers want a high price point so they can discount it like it was another D&D book. This to me says, we are not getting much in the way of D&D products, and this title needs to fill the gap in the product line so D&D can continue to sell at Target. The fact that D&D is in this consumer products video really means to me that Hasbro is treating D&D in the same light as their other big brand products.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Don't complain about $50. If Wonderfilled made this, they'd charge $150.
I was gonna say, is this a starter set put out by Beadle and Grimm?

But yeah, $50 is ludicrous for a start set, defeats the entire purpose.

Both the PHB and MM are $27 at Amazon right now. That's $4 over the asking price of this starter set to, theoretically, play D&D forever.

Either the price is wrong or there is more to this box than they've shown.

Li Shenron

Legend
I was just thinking the other day that perhaps D&D needs a new "black box" style starter set, with the whole package: basic rules redux, an adventure, dice, character sheet but also maps and minis or at least cardboard counters. 50 bucks would be a reasonable price, what I mean here is not a product for us grognards who can shell a lot of money on books just because there's a subclass or two we'd like to have, but rather a single product on the same shelves as toys, that a casual customer sees and thinks "this could be a good present for my kids / grandkids / nephews". Some that looks like a complete package but can be still picked up on a whim, and I think 50 buck is a sort psychological threshold for that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I still don't see where folks are getting $50 from. If it's a press release is there a link to it?
It's from the following press release:

As the #1 games company, per NPD6, Hasbro’s long-standing leadership in gaming, including face-to-face, tabletop and digital, is bringing gaming experiences to gamers of all ages this year:

- Clue Treachery at Tudor Mansion Game: (Ages 10 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $16.99)

- Clue: Bridgerton Edition Game (Ages 17 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $27.99)

- Connect 4 Spin Game (Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $21.99)

- Dungeons & Dragons - Critical Role Presents: Call of the Netherdeep (All Ages/Approx. Retail Price: $49.99)

- Dungeons & Dragons - Dragons of Stormwreck Isle (All Ages/Approx. Retail Price: $49.99)

- Magic: The Gathering - Streets of New Capenna Set Booster (Ages 13 & up/ Approx. Retail Price: $5.00)

- Magic: The Gathering - Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur’s Gate (Ages 13 & up/Approx. Retail Price: $8.00)

- Monopoly Travel World Tour Game (Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $21.99)

- Monopoly: Bridgerton Edition Game (Ages 17 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $27.99)

- Monopoly: Fall Guys Edition Game (Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $27.99)

- Sorry! Sliders: Fall Guys Edition Game (Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $27.99)

Remove ads

Remove ads