D&D 5E Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: New D&D Starter Set Is Coming This Year

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning. Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly. In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which...

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning.

Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly.

In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which seems very high for a starter set.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

Jer

Legend
Supporter
The more I think about it the more I think it’s a typo.
If that picture is all of the contents I'd believe $30 given rising costs, but not $50. And I'd think they'd still like to keep it in the $25 or so price range.

I wonder if this is meant to replace the original Start Set on shelves. They're still selling the Starter Set at the local big box stores right next to the Essentials Kit. Instead of there being 3 boxes on the shelf I wonder if they're end-of-lifing the original Starter Set and replacing it with this one?

Sacrosanct

Legend
While that figure can be a typo, I think we should be prepared to see an increase in costs across the board. Over the past year especially, the costs have increased significantly, especially with more publishers going to local book printing shops rather than China.

For sake of illustration (not real $ numbers):

Book cost to manufacture, China: $5 per book, $2 for shipping per book, $1 customs per book = $8
Book cost to manufacture, US: $8 per book, $2 for shipping = $10.

So everyone used Chinese manufacture

Now, price to ship from China increased from $2 to $5, and added a month or two to ship time. Both manufacturers increased base cost by $1 due to rising costs. So now it's:
China: $12, US: $11.

Real cost difference from $8 (previously used China) to $11 (current US) is $3 increase per book.

Those few dollars per book might not seem like much, but if your profit margin after all costs is $2 a book, it becomes a no brainer that you have to increase costs as well.

*Again, these aren't real numbers. I suspect the % of cost increase is more than $3 per book (6% for a $50 book) based on what I've seen. In some cases, I've seen cost of manufacturing increase by up to 20%.

Weiley31

Legend
Despite the term "Dragon" being in the name of the roleplaying game itself, it's interesting that the Essential Starter Kit and now this one both have "Dragon" in the title. Dragon of Icespire Peak and now Dragons of Stormwreck. And then we had Venomfang before but that lacks it being in the title and not being a main focus of the set.

So still find it interesting how there is a dragon theme going on in these Starter kit/sets. I wonder if this new Starter kit will introduce additional classes alongside the ones as a bit of an expanded class range for players, starting out, to choose. Also, if they choose to add Sidekick rules in, then they could have the Tasha's expanded Sidekick Rules in.

Remove ads

Remove ads