D&D 5E Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: New D&D Starter Set Is Coming This Year

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning. Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly. In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which...

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning.

Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly.

In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which seems very high for a starter set.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

the Jester

Legend
If you don't mind my asking, if you have looked at them, are the stat blocks for existing monsters any different than the MM versions?

JEB

Legend
So "Lightfoot Halfling" and "High Elf" remain, presumably as standalone races. I was pretty sure they'd combine "Halfling" into one, at least. (Of course, they still have two years to change their minds.)

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
First picture is from Stormwreck and then the other 2 are from the MM, first printing spent 2014. I didn’t compare directly but the ghoul looked the same at first glance.

They did add the prof. Bonus on the Stormwreck block.

JEB

Legend
First picture is from Stormwreck and then the other 2 are from the MM, first printing spent 2014. I didn’t compare directly but the ghoul looked the same at first glance.

Nearly identical on both, except that creature types are now Capitalized and the now standard "Typically" on alignment. The only noticeable change was on the harpy: "can take the Dash action on its turn to move towards the harpy" is now "must move on its turn towards the harpy". Which sounds like a very mild nerf. (Or might mean the Dash action is going away, but I doubt it.)

Alby87

Adventurer

The "new" ghoul is a CR1 monster, not a CR2.; also, they removed the XP values on the challenge entry, but I think that's because is a starter set, not a future change.

JEB

Legend
The "new" ghoul is a CR1 monster, not a CR2.; also, they removed the XP values on the challenge entry, but I think that's because is a starter set, not a future change.
Challenge rating is the same on both ghouls; you're probably looking at the ghast. Good catch with the missing XP values, though. I think I read elsewhere the boxed set uses milestone leveling...

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Reading through it now, and as usual sadly disappointed. I’m looking to use it to run an intro game for some friends and it looks like it’s going to require some DM skill to make it workable. Disappointing for a starter set, but not surprising from WotC. They really do try to make it harder than it should be.

For example, the Dragon’s Rest location has nine quirky Kobolds for a fresh DM to try and bring to life, but not one of them is really relevant to the story. WotC then immediately confuse things further by noting that the Kobolds are nocturnal, but they also immediately rush out and excitedly pepper the PCs with questions, so the DM should assume that the PCs land at night?!

Meanwhile over in the Seagrow Caves a cavern is filled with thick volcanic smoke as the natural chimney is blocked by some crystal. If the PCs figure out that there is a chimney vent (unclear how that information is to be conveyed as the myconids avoid the area) then suddenly the area is filled with bright light, so the smoke just instantly dissapates?

I’m trying to figure out a way to more organically stitch the quests together as right now it’s all very rough.

Why do they screw it up every time, even for new players?

Remove ads

Remove ads