Dragonshield Tactics ( again, I know)

Sorry, new to these boards and don't see a search function so I am bringing up what is sure to be a dead horse.

My understanding of D&D movement is that you are moving from one square to another when you decide to take a move action and move with it. If the squares on the battle grid were numbered, you might be moving from square 1 to square 7 on a move action. You are moving through the other squares in between ( barring teleportation or other special movement) but you are moving to the final square that you picked.

So if you are moving 3 squares to square 4 from square 1, that is your action. Moving to square 4. When the Kobold with Dragonshield Tactics interrupts your movement and shifts a square to square 6 ( assuming he was in square 5 and you wanted to be adjacent to attack ) your movement continues and finishes at square 4. That is where you were going and that is what was interrupted. You don't get to pick new squares even though you have movement left. You are already resolving your action. Not picking what you were going to do still.

This is why I get tired of seeing people say they can just keep walking up to the Kobold in question. It doesn't seem like the power works that way. Is there any word from a WotC rep about this?

Again my apologies for not seeing where the search function is located.

tuffnoogies

First Post
Lucas Blackstone said:
Sorry, new to these boards and don't see a search function so I am bringing up what is sure to be a dead horse.

My understanding of D&D movement is that you are moving from one square to another when you decide to take a move action and move with it. If the squares on the battle grid were numbered, you might be moving from square 1 to square 7 on a move action. You are moving through the other squares in between ( barring teleportation or other special movement) but you are moving to the final square that you picked.

So if you are moving 3 squares to square 4 from square 1, that is your action. Moving to square 4. When the Kobold with Dragonshield Tactics interrupts your movement and shifts a square to square 6 ( assuming he was in square 5 and you wanted to be adjacent to attack ) your movement continues and finishes at square 4. That is where you were going and that is what was interrupted. You don't get to pick new squares even though you have movement left. You are already resolving your action. Not picking what you were going to do still.

This is why I get tired of seeing people say they can just keep walking up to the Kobold in question. It doesn't seem like the power works that way. Is there any word from a WotC rep about this?

Again my apologies for not seeing where the search function is located.

Your understanding is flawed. You do in fact get to name new squares if you have movement left. You are not required to name a final square when you start moving.

The search function is for paid members only.

pallen

First Post
In my games, we've always ruled that your move action is not over until you've either a) moved your full speed, b) taken another action (minor, standard, etc.), or c) stated that your move is done.

If you move three spaces and see someone hiding around a corner that you couldn't see when your move started, you can change your "destination". And if a dragonshield kobold shifts, you can continue your move.

bobthehappyzombie

First Post
This isn't Star fleet battles, you don't have to plot out your move in advance. Sure you can keep on moving, if the DS is canny however that will lead to an opportunity attack from his mate.

BeauNiddle

First Post
Check the combat section, I think in the immediate interrupt / reaction bit. One of them mentions moving and seems to imply moving is done on a per square basis.

So the Dragonshields get to react when you move to an adjacent square and then you get to decide what to do with the rest of your move (if you have any).

The only rider on this is charge requires moving in a straight line at the end so I'd rule you couldn't change direction if you charge a kobold that dodges (but you can continue going if there is a different target further back)

Alvoros

First Post
It does not make much sense to have to pre-choose the end square of your movement.

For example...you are "moving" down a hallway up to a corner, but since you do not KNOW what is around the corner yet, I allow the players to move up to the corner, quickly glance around as a free action (no deep examination requiring an action), and then continue to move up to their limit....they may choose to continue past the hallway, or turn and move down the hallway.

Same with the Dragonshield Tactics....player moves up, the shift happens, and then the player (if movement is still available) continues to move.

A CHARGE though, I rule is interupted by the shift based on the "nearest square" ruling in the charge.

Alvo

Last edited:

Remove ads