[Dragonstar] Soulmech Variation

Cabral

First Post
<edit: check out Dragonstar by Fantasy Flight Games >
I didn't quite like the soulmech race. In particular, I didn't like that by-the-book, an who is brought back as a soulmech loses his training in bows and longsword or rapier. It also doesn't make sense that a race of automatons created by gnomes only come in medium size. Therfore, I created this template variation of the soulmech. I want to come up with a different name so that it won't be confused with the by-the-book race. Comments and new name suggestions, welcome and encouraged. :) (Soulmech is used in this post as a temporary name:

Soulmech Template
Soulmech is a template that can be added to an deceased, corporeal creature. Referred to hereafter as the base creature. The creature's type changes to Construct. All stats are as the base creature unless specified otherwise.
Base Speed: +10 Base Speed
Damage: Base creature's unarmed damage is improved one step.
Special Qualities: As base creature plus gains the following qualities:
  • Construct (Ex): Immune to mind-influencing effects, poisons, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromantic effects. Immune to subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain and death due to massive damage. Immune to anything that requires a Fortitude save unless it affects objects.
  • System Vulnerability(Ex}: A soulmech who is at 50% hp or less is restricted to partial actions only. At 0 hp, the soulmech is destroyed.
  • Bonus Feats(Ex): Soulmechs gain four toughness feats, and Ambidexterity.
  • Soulmech's have normal human-range vision by default. (No Darkvision)
  • Technical Vulnerability(Ex): A character with the Technical proficiency feat and 5+ ranks in knowledge (Robotics) can ignore a soulmech immunity to mind-influencing effects, sleep, paralysis, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain and death due to massive damage.
  • Mechanical (Ex): Soulmechs cannot heal naturally (including the heal skill) or with divine magic. Instead, Soulmechs can be repaired using the repair skill. Repairing one point of ability damage or drain is treated as Repairing 1d8 hit points.
  • Electronic Brain (Ex): +2 equipment bonus on all Knowledge skills
  • Heavy Body (Ex): Soulmech automatically fail all swim checks.
Abilities: -2 Dex, No Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha
Challenge Rating: ?
ECL: ?
I think that the CR should be +0 to +1 and the ECL should be +0 to +2 ... It's hard to say. Many of the perks (Immunities) are easily negated in Dragonstar; Any character who wishes can the Technical Proficicency feat for free (ie, bonus feat) by spending one level getting familiar with technology. I may want to up the required knowledge(robotics) to keep the immunities from being circumvented so easily. (A 2nd level Wizard with the Technical Proficiency feat would bypass a hefty chunk of the immunities, but If I up the prerequisite ranks to 10+, it'll be much less common.)

Last edited:

I don't know anything about Dragonstar, but I thought I'd return the favor ;)

By the way, I liked your suggestion on my helmet thread. I vaguely remember considering something similar, but I can't remember why I decided against it--anyway, it appears to be a perfectly workable alternative.

UD

First Post
Try posting this on the Dragonstar yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSD20/

Personally, I don't think this is balanced. It has to many vulnerbilities.

Question:
What about hit dice?

System Vulnerability(Ex}: A soulmech who is at 50% hp or less is restricted to partial actions only. At 0 hp, the soulmech is destroyed.
I think this is unbalancing. Not sure I would have this in (or reduce the percentage dramitically)

Soulmech's have normal human-range vision by default. (No Darkvision)
I think soulmechs should have at least lowlight vision - they are using advanced robotics.

Technical Vulnerability(Ex): A character with the Technical proficiency feat and 5+ ranks in knowledge (Robotics) can ignore a soulmech immunity to mind-influencing effects, sleep, paralysis, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain and death due to massive damage.
:eek: Nooooooo.....

On abilities, I think you should give +2 to strength.

Cabral

First Post
UD said:
Try posting this on the Dragonstar yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSD20/

I wanted to post here for the easy email notification (which I don't use anymore) and the User CP, bu I will join the yahoo group and post it there. Thanks. I had been considering joining the groups anyway.

UD said:
Personally, I don't think this is balanced. It has to many vulnerbilities.
UD said:
Question:
What about hit dice?
I replaced the bonus 2d10 Hit Dice (average bonus 11 hp) with four bonus Toughness feats (flat 12 bonus hit points)
<Re: System Vulnerbilities>
UD said:
I think this is unbalancing. Not sure I would have this in (or reduce the percentage dramitically)

I considered that 50% might be too high. Maybe at 25% and lower?

<Re: Soulmech vision>
UD said:
I think soulmechs should have at least lowlight vision - they are using advanced robotics.
Well, my intention in knocking off the Strength bonus was to make a more baseline soulmech.

<Re: Technical Vulnerabilities>
UD said:
:eek: Nooooooo.....
Well, in the main book, soulmechs don't have all the construct immunities. For one, they are susceptable to mind-influencing spells and critical hits. I just expanded the list, but put qualifiers on when the immunities are bypassed.

UD said:
On abilities, I think you should give +2 to strength.
I ditched the strength bonus for the same reason as the vision enhancement. Note: I play that starting characters can buy spell ware (and robot upgrades) by paying an additional 5gp/credit per XP the spell ware would require.

Cabral

First Post
I had a thought for a different version:
Soulmech Template
Soulmech is a template that can be added to any deceased, corporeal creature. Referred to hereafter as the base creature. The creature's type is unchanged. All stats are as the base creature unless specified otherwise.
Base Speed: +10 Base Speed
Damage: Base creature's unarmed damage is improved one step.
Special Qualities: As base creature plus gains the following qualities:
  • Hybrid Construction (Ex): Immune to mind-influencing effects, poisons, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromantic effects. Immune to subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain.
  • System Vulnerability(Ex): A soulmech who is at 25% hp or less is restricted to partial actions only.
  • Bonus Feats(Ex): Soulmechs gain four toughness feats, and Ambidexterity.
  • Technical Vulnerability(Ex): A character with the Technical proficiency feat and 5+ ranks in knowledge (Robotics) can ignore a soulmech immunity to mind-influencing effects, sleep, paralysis, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain.
  • Mechanical (Ex): Soulmechs cannot heal naturally (including the heal skill). Instead, Soulmechs can be repaired using the repair skill. Repairing one point of ability damage or drain is treated as Repairing 1d8 hit points. Divine Magic works normally.
  • Electronic Brain (Ex): +2 equipment bonus on all Knowledge skills
  • Heavy Body (Ex): Soulmech suffer a -4 penalty on swim checks.
Abilities: -2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha
Challenge Rating: ?
ECL: ?

Last edited:

Remove ads