Drawing fantasy maps

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Bob World Builder has a new video on the subject:

I've purchased a few books on drawing maps and, despite being a decent artist in high school long ago, I've never really been super-comfortable with my map making efforts. I even own Hex Kit (which I think I got in some aid package through itch.io) and am dissatisfied with my results there, as well.

Suggestions on how to draw a map that you're satisfied with? (Other than therapy -- I like my writing plenty; this is a maps thing.)

Daraniya

Explorer
same here... except I'm not good at art, period...

I bought hexographer, tried freehanding things in gimp/inkscape/krita, using microsoft whiteboard, etc

I gave up and got simple... I buy a lot of maps, and support those that make them... I've also made good use of Azagar's map generator and bin.sh for planets...

J.P. Coovert has some good videos on fantasy mapmaking that you may find useful. Bob World Builder has one of his books displayed in the background of the linked video which I assume is a low-key shout out.

I use Wonderdraft these days myself. Even if I had artistic talent (which I don't) the software is much faster that drawing tons of trees and mountains by hand.

I used to think that maps should be objective and detailed, but these days I think it is fine to be vague and sketchy like real historical maps. First it is hella lot easier to make them then, and secondly it gives freedom to add and alter small details if future development warrants such.

The map of my current setting Artra that I have been using is pretty simple and doesn't have much detail. It didn't take terribly long to draw it.

Perhaps I at some point draw more detailed one, but so far this has served its purpose well enough.

Orius

Legend
I prefer hand drawing on paper. I've never really found any digital tools to be comfortable to use for wilderness or urban mapping. Software for dungeons that uses a traditional grid isn't bad, and I've tried several of those, but the other stuff requires more free form techniques that I can just more easily and quickly do by hand. The key to hand drawn maps is to use simple, clean geometric shapes that can easily be drawn repeatedly whether you're doing it on a hex grid, graph paper, or blank paper. If you want to do overland hex maps, the small hex symbols used in the classic D&D game starting with X1 are a good place to start, though you could colorize the symbols to make them easier to read. I didn't watch the video you posted, but it looks like pretty typical techniques for blank paper.

grimmgoose

Explorer
I use Wonderdraft, and using the Trace tool, I outright steal and kitbash maps together.

My campaign’s world map is most of Pathfinder’s Golarion, with a fantasy Britain I found online.

I used to spend HOURS trying to create the perfect map, and then I considered paying a cartographer to create a map for me, but then I realized, “I can just trace the maps that I like.”

So that’s what I did.

kronovan

Adventurer
I started using digital mapping tools more than 30 years ago via work in the Geographic Information Systems biz - worked with both GIS and Computer Aided Design software. And although I long ago left that profession, mapping has been a hobby since. I used to hand draw maps in the 80s for our college D&D club. Even back then though, my mapping buddies and I started cutting stencils for common map features, to ease the process and make mapping possible for club members who didn't have the talent to hand draw.

I built many maps with Dundjinni which is now abandonware and currently own Dungeondraft and Campaign Cartographer 3. For the majority I use CC3, because I run campaigns in a variety of genres and the many features and massive library of symbols available for it allows me to create any type of map I care to. I also like that it has different tool sets for overland, urban, dungeon and Traveller style planet and starship maps. I mostly use dungeondraft when I want to generate Line of Sight for maps I'll us with a VTT. I also occasionally create custom symbols and textures, for which I use CC3 and Paintshop Pro.

I figure I've been using digital tools for too long now to go back to hand drawing.

MGibster

Legend
I used to think that maps should be objective and detailed, but these days I think it is fine to be vague and sketchy like real historical maps. First it is hella lot easier to make them then, and secondly it gives freedom to add and alter small details if future development warrants such.
I'm with you on that one. I really dislike modern style maps where PCs can precisely determine distance and exact geographic locations. On the flip side, I understand a map needs to be useful for gaming purposes. But I'm sure a happy medium can be reached.

TheSword

Legend
I started off using campaign cartographer 3 and the million different styles they teach you to use. I still think that system while old is a great way to start because of the support and tutorial elements you get with it. Not to mention the flexibility. I particularly like that you can use it for dungeons as well.

I love Wonderdraft for its simplicity. It’s a great program and much cheaper than CC3

Cartographers guild is a great resource which has the discussion and advice around now to do it, with examples.

If I was a publisher now. I’d learn those systems and get comfortable with the methodology. Then I would buy a set of assets that matched the style I wanted for my games. Or hire an artist to produce them if I couldn’t find a set that matched what I wanted. Patreon is an amazing place for map assets as at the higher tiers they often include those assets.

Remove ads