• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dreamscarred Press' Psionics

Kaodi

Hero
How would you rate their conversion of the psionics rules to Pathfinder? Is it of relatively comparable quality to Paizo's own class conversions?

I ask because psionics play a rather large role in Eberron, though you can of course play campaigns where they are merely background elements.

Last edited:

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
They're solid. Psions and Psychic Warriors are still fun, well-balanced, and flavorful and they get access to cool new abilities. Soulknives are actually competitive for a melee class and get a much broader array of options. Wilders... are still hopelessly terrible. Better luck next time.

All of the psionic X powers have been given unique names, and the mechanics have been subtly tweaked to make them less like spells.

The only problem with the Pathfinder psionics rules, as I see it, as they haven't been given the benefit of the Advanced Player's Guide and the two Ultimate books-- so psionic races and classes don't have alternate racial features, alternate favored class bonuses, and archetypes. Dreamscarred is working to correct this as we speak.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
I haven't had the chance to play it either, but the mechanics do look to be solid and on par with Pathfinder Core. Flavor-wise, it is pretty much it's own campaign setting - the vibe I got reading through it was that it works best as a replacement for standard spellcasting rather than just another style of spellcasting. Part of it is that Dreamscarred Press has a different design philosophy than Paizo - which is okay. The book is designed for fans of psionics.

Dreamscarred Press is working on expanding Psionics Unleashed with AGP style options. I think they're doing a tiered/subscription release until they get enough material for a full-sized second book.

Angellis_ater

First Post
Indeed we are - Psionics Expanded will be an APG-style book with more classes, archetypes, feats and everything else you need as a player who wants something more. We are offering each of the six parts as a single PDF download at around 4$ each, and you can get the full book for 9.95$ - in which case it is a pre-order, but you get each of the six PDFs released for free.

Naturally I can't comment on how others feel about our work, but we steered pretty close to the XPH and 3.5 Psionics. If you liked that, you'll probably like what we did with Psionics Unleashed.

Ahnehnois

First Post
How would you rate their conversion of the psionics rules to Pathfinder? Is it of relatively comparable quality to Paizo's own class conversions?
To me it seemed a high-quality conversion. There needed to be significant class updates to make them in line with PF, and what they did looks competitive with the wizard and sorcerer.

For the record, I was never a fan of the original version. I suspect that your opinion of the conversion will be similar to your opinion of the XPH.

milo

First Post
I am a fan of the Dreamscarred Psionics. Didn't have much of a chance to play test the rules, but I liked what I did test. It is in line with the rest of the system as far as power.

Rating 9 out of 10.
Some small room for improvement, but a very solid book. If you aren't a fan of XPH though you won't like this.

Last edited:

caudor

Adventurer
I'm confused. Is Psionics Unleashed intended to be replaced by Psionics Expanded, or do I need Unleashed in order to use Expanded?

frankthedm

First Post
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZej3iMXmI]Psionics Unleashed Gaming Book Review - YouTube[/ame] found this

I'm confused. Is Psionics Unleashed intended to be replaced by Psionics Expanded, or do I need Unleashed in order to use Expanded?
Supplement.
Psionics Expanded -

Expand your options with this new supplement for Psionics Unleashed and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads