D&D 5E Drizzt as a LG 8th Level Champion

Rottle

First Post
Don't have my UA off hand, so this is off the top of the head and not positive I'm remembering right...

I think he could be up to level 10 with some rulings of a single class character via the UA who could be multiclass but only utilized one class.

I was looking at mine just today, without the single class bonus and without exceptional strength(18(01) or higher) which drizzt does not have his level limit is 6....thus single class his limit is 8. Hey what can I say, I love 1e still....

GreyLord

Legend
I was looking at mine just today, without the single class bonus and without exceptional strength(18(01) or higher) which drizzt does not have his level limit is 6....thus single class his limit is 8. Hey what can I say, I love 1e still....

I do too, but I can't say I ever play Drow or Dark Elves.

I am curious at what the other characters 19 STAT was. Wulfgar's was probably STR.

Cattie brie or Bruenor? Regis?

Rottle

First Post
I do too, but I can't say I ever play Drow or Dark Elves.

I am curious at what the other characters 19 STAT was. Wulfgar's was probably STR.

Cattie brie or Bruenor? Regis?

I have their original published stats at home somewhere (1e stats). Wulgar had a 19 str, Bruenor was 19 con, I would guess Regis 19 dex and I think cattle Brie had cha ....I will need to check that last one. Wulgar's strength could not be obtained through the rules but drizzt's 20 dex could ( use the fiend folo drow method for rolling his stats...dex for a male drow was 12 + 2d4) Bruenor and Regis could also get their 19s by normal rules, Cattie Brie again I would need to look up, but by rules could not have started with a 19 cha.

GreyLord

Legend
I have their original published stats at home somewhere (1e stats). Wulgar had a 19 str, Bruenor was 19 con, I would guess Regis 19 dex and I think cattle Brie had cha ....I will need to check that last one. Wulgar's strength could not be obtained through the rules but drizzt's 20 dex could ( use the fiend folo drow method for rolling his stats...dex for a male drow was 12 + 2d4) Bruenor and Regis could also get their 19s by normal rules, Cattie Brie again I would need to look up, but by rules could not have started with a 19 cha.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Was Drizzt a 10th leveler in those? What level were the others?

Tony Vargas

Legend
In the 1e era, it was not at all unusual to give NPCs, let alone fictional characters, special abilities outside the range of what was 'legally' available to PCs.

It's a little - funny? ironic, maybe? - that after doing so much damage to the reputation of the Ranger class, he's up and wandered off to become a Champion. (Now what's going to happen to the poor Champion?)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Wait wait, Chris Perkins played Drizzt?

That's hilarious. I knew he was a high level DM, I didn't realized he multi-classed into troll :D

Prism

Explorer
I think the UA classics revisited Fighter Scout is a pretty good representation of Drizzt in 5e with its access to natural explorer.

Wait wait, Chris Perkins played Drizzt?

That's hilarious. I knew he was a high level DM, I didn't realized he multi-classed into troll :D

Yeah, he played it pretty well too. Oh and he also took the second roles of rules lawyer and chief complainer (when he couldn't get what he wanted). All tongue in cheek

delericho

Legend
What ranger-y things does he do in the novels?

Other than being described as a ranger? In the early novels he also has a thing against giants (IIRC, the relevant encounter is in "Streams of Silver"), and does at least some tracking.

FWIW, the 2nd Ed "Heroes Lorebook" puts him as a 16th level CG Drow Ranger.

Rottle

First Post
That actually makes a lot of sense. Was Drizzt a 10th leveler in those? What level were the others?

He was tenth level oh and Cattie Brie did not have a 19, her best stat was a 17 cha. Drizzt was not even close to the best fighter type in that book, Bruenor would have been a good fight, but the king of Cormyr would have mopped the floor with him, not even close. Heck Tristen Kendrick was both a higher level ranger and had significantly better stats, no 19 or 20, but literally all 17s and 18s....

Remove ads