Drow Poison, Silver swords, and Pixie arrows

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So in the MM Drow, Githyanki, and Pixies all have special equipment (no doubt other races do as well): poison, silver swords, and arrows.

Yet none of these is listed under the rules for using these races as characters. So what sort of access should a PC have to these things?

Unlimited Drow poison? Free swords at level 9? 50 arrows at first level, and you make your own after that? I can see different DMs taking it different ways--what do you do?

thanks.

Drowbane

First Post
Kobold Stew said:
So in the MM Drow, Githyanki, and Pixies all have special equipment (no doubt other races do as well): poison, silver swords, and arrows.

Yet none of these is listed under the rules for using these races as characters. So what sort of access should a PC have to these things?

Unlimited Drow poison? Free swords at level 9? 50 arrows at first level, and you make your own after that? I can see different DMs taking it different ways--what do you do?

thanks.

Drow poison is in the 3.5 DMG... its fairly cheap. But oldskool DMs might still rule that its useless if exposed to daylight.

Pixies: figure a price as per DMG... and perhaps get a 10% discount as its a racial thing.

Githyanki: I don't have my MM in front of me... but if I remember right... Silver Swords are insanely powerful... so um... not unless high lvl?

A Man In Black

First Post
Drow poison is in the DMG. Just handle that like any poison.

I'd personally let pixies craft sleep arrows (per the DMG) normally and maybe let them bypass the prereqs. I dunno...I'd have to fiddle.

As I recall, the Silver Sword is a +3 or +4 mod for the cutting the silver cord part. Personally, if I was allowing a githyanki PC, I'd just say githyanki-craft magic weapons have the weird morphing quality as a free special effect.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
A Man In Black said:
Drow poison is in the DMG. Just handle that like any poison.

I'd personally let pixies craft sleep arrows (per the DMG) normally and maybe let them bypass the prereqs. I dunno...I'd have to fiddle.

As I recall, the Silver Sword is a +3 or +4 mod for the cutting the silver cord part. Personally, if I was allowing a githyanki PC, I'd just say githyanki-craft magic weapons have the weird morphing quality as a free special effect.

Yeah--I put these three together in part because they are so different in impact for a game, though structurally they seem the same.

With poison, the only real issue is availability. With the pixie arrows, though--they represent a significant bonus for a PC (and could constitute a component of why someone would choose to play a Pixie). The Gith have a lower LA than pixies, but the sword seems to represent an even greater benefit.

Any other views?

BalazarIago

First Post
Do you allow a Dwarf to have a discount when buying a Dwarven War Axe?

Point being, I think that the only advantage the PCs might have is that they actually have access to these types of items, whereas other PCs may not.

Armadon63

First Post
I am playing a pixie in a game right now and we agreed that the arrows cost no money and no gold but you can only have 5 on you at a time. Also it takes 24 hours to get 1 arrow back. It just like it's a bonus for having the ecl. plus pixies do like crap damage so they rely on that pixie arrow tactic.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks, Armadon, this is the sort of thingI'm interested in. The pixie case is in my mind the toughest; perhaps I was worng to lump these three together, but inn terms of the rules they seemed parallel. Still, Drow poison admits an easy answer, and the others, well, less so.

Other thoughts, anyone?

Rath the Brown

First Post
In the game in which I played a pixie, we followed the rules in Savage Species; as a pixie, I was able to craft the arrows as though I had the prerequisites, but I still had to craft them (pay gp and xp costs and take time). The costs were listed in Savage Species as well. There was no limit to the number of arrows I could have, other than cost, time, and weight.

Azrael

First Post
The silver sword is listed in 'manual of the planes' under githyanki with the pre-reqs to make it+cost etc. So I'd just treat it as a normal magic item bearing those things in mind.

Remove ads