Drowning in (Character Sheet) Details

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Forsooth. How would we play D&D if half of the character sheet, page one, consisted of name, class, alignment, flaws, bonds, traits, and ideals? And character image?

A lot of players would just leave page two turned up, right? ;)

:)

But yeah, put the most useful one one sheet, it doesn't matter if it's number Page One or Page Eight. And just like I was saying ability scores aren't important, neither is an image, or even your name. (I usually have an image of a separate piece I can hand around, or on a name plaquered with name, class/race adn some other stuff for others to see. Who needs a tiny version of their character picture as quick reference for themselves in play.)

This is what I use for my game. It works for my game. It's placemat sized, magnetic (for use with inventory pieces), plays fast and uses cards. One thing it doesn't do is allow room for those players that are real note takers. Haven't figured that part out yet. But, overall, all the essentials for my game are there.

Way of Guile.PNG

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Who needs a tiny version of their character picture as quick reference for themselves in play.
You might refer to World of Warcraft or Ghost Recon designers to answer this. Seeing yourself during play helps with getting into the role. The handout is a good idea, though.

One thing it doesn't do is allow room for those players that are real note takers. Haven't figured that part out yet. But, overall, all the essentials for my game are there.
That's a clean sheet. I pity the player who has to take more than one note, though :geek: If anything is drowning, it's the individual skills, but they look accessible. Is it for a role-playing game? I ask because there's not much room for fluff on it, which could, I suppose, be another way to refer to D&D's traits, bonds, ideals, and flaws section.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The things that every character needs but that take up space and thus get shunted to page 2 are mundane possessions lists, characterization notes, and character history and-or backstory notes.

Things that get their own separate sheets are a) xp record and b) money-and-finances tracking.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Does character sheet design affect how you play? Do you like a clean character sheet, or one with lots of information, design, and detail?

Generally, I think character sheets reflect the game for which they are designed. That said, I tend to favor games with simple character sheets, like the Fate you mentioned. I've just grown fatigued of all the layers of detail and design that games like D&D seem to require. I much prefer things to have a decent narrative descriptor and mechanics that work through those. I even twitch a little with some of the Apocalypse World games and Blades in the Dark.

Then again, I'm weird.

You might refer to World of Warcraft or Ghost Recon designers to answer this. Seeing yourself during play helps with getting into the role. The handout is a good idea, though.

That's a clean sheet. I pity the player who has to take more than one note, though :geek: If anything is drowning, it's the individual skills, but they look accessible. Is it for a role-playing game? I ask because there's not much room for fluff on it, which could, I suppose, be another way to refer to D&D's traits, bonds, ideals, and flaws section.
It is an RPG. No alignment or bonds, etc. But, as adventurers make choices, they sometimes receive cards (It's a card based RPG). These cards are experience cards and help reflect the character's choices. For example, someone who helps the halfling town when it's in trouble, now has a boon when persuading halflings. For us, it's a nice way to individualize the character, as people doing the same adventure often receive different cards.

The Monster

Explorer
For me, a character sheet should have what I need to play the character - no more, no less. A character sheet is a tool for playing the character and should serve that task efficiency and as completely as possible.
A small space for an image is nice, though I see that as more of a tool for the other players than for me - once I've picked it out, or even just seen it a few times, I know what my character looks like; if someone asks, I can just point at the pic. And if I really want, I can print it on a separate sheet (which I usually do, along with character bio & background).
Speaking of separate sheets, I understand some people like having space for 'Notes' on a character sheet. If I want to take notes, I get out a blank page. The only thing I ever use character-sheet 'notes' space is for rules I use a lot in play that aren't easy to remember (and for some reason aren't already on the character sheet).
Mostly, I want data - useful data. Art and decoration are nice fluff, but purely secondary. Good graphic design is one thing, to give clarity and emphasis to what you use the most. Fancy scrollwork and extra images are just pretty - and annoying if it gets in the way of clear and complete information.
If I have to turn a character sheet over in the normal course of a turn, to me it's a poor design. I'll make some allowance for spell descriptions, but if you need that much text for spells, it should be on a spell sheet of its own.
If I need more than a single two-sided page to play the character (not including bio & background fluff, of course), it's either very bad design or the game is way more complicated than I'm willing to play. Again, spells and other specials should, in my opinion, go on a sheet of its own if it's that big a deal.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The things that every character needs but that take up space and thus get shunted to page 2 are mundane possessions lists, characterization notes, and character history and-or backstory notes.
Characterization notes are an interesting topic. Traits and co. are on the first page of the D&D sheet, but they don't really stand out because the page is so busy. Aspects in Fate are similar, and they have prime real estate on the Fate character sheet, and are right next to Description.
For me, a character sheet should have what I need to play the character - no more, no less. A character sheet is a tool for playing the character and should serve that task efficiency and as completely as possible.

. . . If I have to turn a character sheet over in the normal course of a turn, to me it's a poor design. I'll make some allowance for spell descriptions, but if you need that much text for spells, it should be on a spell sheet of its own.
Assuming you mean "combat turn" by the term "turn" here. But the distinction makes me think: should there not be a Role-Playing side of the sheet and a Combat side? Fate put everything on one side, so there's no side 2 needed. But D&D has at least two sides, so why is the Attacks section on the same side as experience points, background, bonds, alignment, etc? Once you start fighting, all of that goes out the window anyway.
Generally, I think character sheets reflect the game for which they are designed. That said, I tend to favor games with simple character sheets, like the Fate you mentioned.
. . . I even twitch a little with some of the Apocalypse World games and Blades in the Dark.
Well, they should, right? Numenera is about exploration. The character sheet has tons of room for the special abilities, skills, and gear that characters will need to explore the Ninth World. The secondary sheet is where background, illustration, and notes go (yes, a separate sheet should be used for notes). Not a lot of room for personality, but the game isn't necessarily focused on that.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Characterization notes are an interesting topic. Traits and co. are on the first page of the D&D sheet, but they don't really stand out because the page is so busy. Aspects in Fate are similar, and they have prime real estate on the Fate character sheet, and are right next to Description.
Nothing so formal here. :)

I just like to scribble down some shorthand notes on the sheet as to what makes this particular character tick, so that I can remember what I originally had in mind for it if it gets put on hold for ages and then somehow rebooted. (example: a character I'd last played in 1990-ish showed up in our game a couple of years back and resumed her career; took me weeks if not months to remember what made her who she was (I didn't leave myself much by way of notes!), and during that time all I could do was play her as something of a caricature based on what little I remembered)

Assuming you mean "combat turn" by the term "turn" here. But the distinction makes me think: should there not be a Role-Playing side of the sheet and a Combat side?
Interesting idea, but it'll run aground on spell lists (for casters) and magic items owned (for everyone), as referencing these is often needed in both combat and non-combat situations.

My answer remains this: don't use pre-fab character sheets; make up your own for each character and put things where they're most convenient and accessible for you.

Remove ads