• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid and the Scimitar

Chairman7w

First Post
Has anyone ever heard anything about what WOTC's reason was for a Druid being able to use a Scimitar?

I've always wondered about that.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Because the druids of old were reputed to use them.

Personally, I think they should have dropped the scimitar and added the longbow. But WotC isn't in the habit of calling me up on the phone and asking me what to do.

tsadkiel

Legend
That's funny - they call me up all the time. In fact, the whole scimitar/druid thing was my idea. I wanted to give them two weapon fighting as well, but WotC thought it was too much.

EDIT - :)

Last edited:

The scimitar carries some of the symbolism of the sickle, is roughly equivalent to a Machete, and creates some balance by giving the druid a nice close range martial weapon.

Angcuru

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
The scimitar carries some of the symbolism of the sickle, is roughly equivalent to a Machete, and creates some balance by giving the druid a nice close range martial weapon.

As well as a decent slashing one as that. If you're living in the woods, you need to slash stuff, especially your foes.:D

niteshade6

First Post
I remember somebody explained it once, although I don't remember it exactly. Basicly when they first made druids (long before 3e) they wanted them to be able to use sickles, because that is a classic druid thing. But there were no sickles in the weapon list. So they gave them scimitarsl instead because it was the closest thing. This was kept in later editions for consistancy reason though sickles were also added and allowed to be used.

I may have some details about this story wrong, but it was something like that.

Gothmog

First Post
There really isn't a good reason they gave druids scimitars as an allowed weapon, although they have had them since 1E. I think niteshade6 has it right (or pretty close to it)- they wanted druids to use sickles, but there wasn't a sickle on the weapon list at the time. In reality, druids never used scimitars (they were a middle eastern weapon, and difficult to forge). IMC, I don't allow druids to use scimitars, but let them use bows, hand axes, and battle axes instead. I reason that since they are often from more "primitive" areas, their weapon selection ought to reflect this.

johnsemlak

First Post
One of the first edition books (I could swear it was Unearthed Arcana but I'm not sure) expanded on the philosophy behind a Druid's weapon selection by saying that Druids were allowed to use weapons of an exotic or ancient origin. For example, the Unearthed Arcana weapon list for Druids added the Khophesh sword, because it's Egyptian origin supposedly made it suitable for Druids.

Does anyone remember where the above was stated? I'd appreciate it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads