D&D 5E Druid Gender Change?

jrowland

First Post
If you really WANT to change genders via wild shape, yah I guess you can.
Question: Are you ready to set yourself up to be the target of rude jokes for the next month?

As a DM, I've had to squash some in-game tomfoolery when it began bleeding out-of-game to become double-entendre and insults. Unless your group is (1) unusually mature and (2) very circumspect with their speech - each and every member - I recommend you just let this idea fade into the background.

or 3) Everyone is incredibly immature and enjoys double-entendre and insults
or 4) Everyone is a mature misanthrope with thick skins
or 5) Some are verbal Sadists and some are verbal masochists and one of the masochists are playing the said druid
or 6) Everyone simply doesn't give a Sh*t
or 7) You really enjoy watching people get insulted at your gaming table
or 8) You are the player and you think being the target of rude jokes is the high point of comedy (fart jokes, for example, are usually crowd-pleasers despite our 'advanced' civilization)
or etc.

But yeah...anyone who as ever seen a girdle of femininity and masculinity in play knows where this going.

delericho

Legend
I've been looking up some various animals in the past few days and I've seen some that can change their genders so I was wondering, If a druid were to wildshape into one of those animals (like a hawkfish) could they as well be able to shift/change genders too

Sure. You turn into a normal instance of the creature, so if that creature can do it, so can you. Note, though, that the ability to change sex (1) may not be under the creature's conscious control, and (2) probably isn't instantaneous, and this would apply to a wildshaped druid also.

That said, I wouldn't require the druid to change to a hawkfish (or similar) to change sex anyway - I'd allow the druid fairly wide latitude to describe his (or her) new form provided he stay within the limits of "a normal instance" - and both males and females are normal instances of most species.

and if so would that one aspect shift back into their base form (human, dragonborn, elf, ect...) with them?

No. When the spell expires, they revert back to the form they had before they started.

(One final thing: I'm inclined to introduce a low-cost, and permanent, potion of sex-change into my game for any PC who is interested in seeking out such a thing. For reasons that have very little to do with druids and wildshape.)

Remove ads