• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid Wild Shape

DracoSuave

First Post
Durr. That's what I get for not reading.

The answer is you don't stay in beast form if you want to make basic attacks today. It's not your primary class, so don't expect to be milking its shtick the way a primary druid do.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Well, what you could do, is if you have quick wild shape ...
You can shift for the price of 2 free actions.
And repeat.

Err ... I think this wild shape business has some issues with insufficient playtesting.

CubeKnight

First Post
And repeat.

Err ... I think this wild shape business has some issues with insufficient playtesting.
IIRC, you're limited to Wild Shaping 1/round, no matter how many actions you have left.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
And repeat.

You know, even without the quick wild shape feat, wildshape seems pretty meaningless. You just pop in and out based on what power you want to use that round and it doesn't have any real consequences. Stats, size, everything stay the same... so... why... I'd have to say it's one of the more dissapointing things about PHB2.

ArmoredSaint

First Post
I think it's weird that the attacks of most animals in the Monster Manual target AC, while those of the Druid wildshaped into the same animal target Reflex...

Akaiku

First Post
You know, even without the quick wild shape feat, wildshape seems pretty meaningless. You just pop in and out based on what power you want to use that round and it doesn't have any real consequences. Stats, size, everything stay the same... so... why... I'd have to say it's one of the more disappointing things about PHB2.

There are a few feats that give you bonuses whilst wild shaped, so it's not invariably exactly the same.

But, to answer the OP, if you are a multiclass druid and use up your attacks, you are now completely incapable of causing any harm to a foe unless you shift back, sustain a damaging effect or are a beastmaster ranger. (commanding your pet to attack isn't an attack from you)

It makes me sad. That, and, as near as I can tell, if you are a shaman multi druid, it's always better to take the non-beast form powers... shaman do more damage and often have better effects with their striker-emulating powers, plus they are extreme range instead of melee.

Beckett

Explorer
I think it's weird that the attacks of most animals in the Monster Manual target AC, while those of the Druid wildshaped into the same animal target Reflex...

PCs and monsters work differently. In this case, these are PC powers that aren't weapon based; without the proficiency bonus, the usual case is to target a defense other than AC.

srn

First Post
Reading PHB2 again today, under druid it says you can't use weapon or wondrous item properties or powers in wild shape form, but _can_ use implement and worn item powers and properties (page 83).

Under Beast Form on page 219 it says you can use a beast form power only while in beast form. On page 83 under "Wild Shape" it says "many druid powers have the beast form keyword and therefore can be used only while you are in beast form".

Nowhere (I can find) does it say you can use only Beast Form powers while in beast form, and the fact it explicitly rules out some powers implies that in general everything is allowed (the exception proving the rule and all).

So, I think a staff-wielding druid can basically stay in beast form all the time.

A staff-wielding MC druid can't use weapon powers, but if they were a wizard, for example, they could still use implement powers.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads