• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid Wild Shape

Drakard

First Post
Curious, what is the Melee Basic Attack of a Druid in wild shape? I ask because if you multiclass in to Druid, and have only one at-will power that can be used 1/encounter, then what do you do otherwise? Do you just have the MBA, and what would it be?

Danceofmasks

First Post
Good question! I hadn't thought about it ..
Umm, you don't do much?

Hmm ..
Well, since a staff implement melds into beast form ... umm ... I'd go with allowing them to use it as a "weapon" (so long as they're not wearing a shield, wielding a totem as well .. the equivalent of using 2 hands)?

Drakard

First Post
Just looking at all kinds of things you can do with a fighter. And it just occured to me that i could multi-druid and fight from beast form (for pure RP reasons). Now I'd get all my Marked abilities and whatnot, but that's about it, you cant use any other encounters or anything. Ofcourse since its At-will to get out of beast form if you really wanted to use an encounter you could pop out, use it, but there is no other reason to be in beast form then just to look cool apparently from a multi-class standpoint. Was hoping the dmg was at least the equivalent of whatever weapon you are wielding, or something

fba827

Adventurer
I am no authority by any means, if it came up in my game, I would either say ...

Option 1: Say that you're out of attacks for the encounter - you used up the only attack you had available while in that form.

Option 2: say that you are doing a melee basic attack as if you were unarmed.

Honestly? I'm inclined towards option 1 just because *the way my campaigns are*, wildshaping already provides way too much advantage. So that's how I'd do it for my own game. But your games/DM/party/game style may be different, and, of course, other interpretations are probably out there.
:)

Eldorian

First Post
I think that while you're shapeshifted, you cannot use any powers without the beast keyword, and melee basic attack doesn't have the beast keyword.

I'm not sure though.

fissionessence

First Post
Yeah, this does seem kind of awkward. It makes you wonder if the developers knew this and are happy with it, or if maybe they were just using melee basic attacks in testing and not really realizing that it wasn't allowed hehe. I might allow a multiclass druid to gain an alternate melee basic attack that used Wisdom for 1d8+Wis modifier damage. Maybe.

~

DracoSuave

First Post
Why is a house rule necessary?

1) You have three at-wills, four if you are a human druid.

2) One of those -must- be a Beast Form at-will.

3) Grasping Claws -is- a melee basic attack. Savage Rend -is- a melee basic attack. Pounce can be used instead of an MBA when charging. Those are your only three choices.

If you're Beast Form a lot, then you're taking two Beast Form at-wills, rather than one... which means it's IMPOSSIBLE not to have a melee basic attack in beast form.

They designed the class that way.

Remove ads