D&D (2024) What creatures should be relabeled as "beasts"?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'd max the INT at something like 4-5 (and just recognize that whales, dolphins, apes, monkeys are different)

Cockatrice
Worg
the griffs

S'mon

Legend
Owlbear is the one I was allowing back in 2015/16. I can't actually think of any others that demand to be Beasts. Fey type critters without magic powers seem to fit best.
Looking at the list at http://dndroll.wikidot.com/creatures:beasts it seems to me that the main gaps for Moon Druids is at CR 3/Level 9, since at level 10 they can become a CR 5 Elemental. Owlbear fills that gap nicely. Some kind of super bear or wolf at CR 4/level 12 might be nice but I find Moon Druids definitely lose interest in beast forms once they can become Fire Air & Earth elementals!

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Owlbear, Griffon, Tressym, Winter wolf, Guardian wolf, Girallons, Cave fisher, Decapus, Gorgon Bull, Sealion and Hippocampus, Ankheg, Remorhaz, Carrion Crawler, Worms and Slugs etc
Displacer Beast, Catoblepas, Leucrotta, Cockatrice, Basilisk I'd categorize as Fey Beasts

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What about
Yeti
Kraken
Terrasque
Cerberus
Femrir
none of those are simple beasts they're generally too intelligent and Cerberus and Fenrir are outright celestial. The Tarrasque is a unique being closer to Dragon than beast (if it were me I'd create a Kaiju category)

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Owlbear, Griffon, Tressym, Winter wolf, Guardian wolf, Girallons, Cave fisher, Decapus, Gorgon Bull, Sealion and Hippocampus, Ankheg, Remorhaz, Carrion Crawler, Worms and Slugs etc
Displacer Beast, Catoblepas, Leucrotta, Cockatrice, Basilisk I'd categorize as Fey Beasts
Winter wolves have a cold breath, feels a bit too magical for a beast

Remove ads