• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Druids and druid crafting options?

Satyrn

First Post
If it lasts only one round, the spell should take a reaction to cast (so that you can gain one actions benefit before everybody moves 30'!).

Well, I guess I rather meant that the spell's description ought tostart by saying "Until the end of your next turn, you create a faint connection with the Feywild, allowing you to sense your surroundings through the stirrings of life, the sounds and smells of nature with supernatural clarity . . . "

If it took a reaction or bonus action you could be using the spell every round and still take an action. Which is probably fine, but if I was creating a spell that provided effective sight every round, I'd rather make it a 1st level spell that lasts a day, and can be upcast for larger range. At really high levels letting you see a whole forest, or more - wait, is that ranger feature?

MechaPilot

Explorer
As a DM, if a player came to me with this idea, I would just let them play the character as being blind but able to function as if she could see. That really would be the simplest way that I can see to handle it. And, it's not like it provides any real advantage over a normally sighted PC.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
As a DM, if a player came to me with this idea, I would just let them play the character as being blind but able to function as if she could see. That really would be the simplest way that I can see to handle it. And, it's not like it provides any real advantage over a normally sighted PC.

It gains and loses nothing.........

.....apart from a really cool PC. Win/Win

MechaPilot

Explorer
It gains and loses nothing.........

.....apart from a really cool PC. Win/Win

That's the basic idea.

The only potential issue that comes up is what to do narratively about magical and non-magical effects or conditions that impose the blind condition on the character.

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
That's the basic idea.

The only potential issue that comes up is what to do narratively about magical and non-magical effects or conditions that impose the blind condition on the character.

Thats easy enough i would think, it seemingly has no effect until its used on someone else. The real question is things that petrify you when you look into its eyes

MechaPilot

Explorer
Thats easy enough i would think, it seemingly has no effect until its used on someone else. The real question is things that petrify you when you look into its eyes

I forgot about gaze attacks. That would also be a potential issue.

Personally, I'd rule that they still work if your replacement sense allows you to "see" the creature using it.

Kelly Kellogg

First Post

Personally, I'd rule that they still work if your replacement sense allows you to "see" the creature using it.

Thing is, the cantrip would use hearing and smell, so one could argue its not sight so it can't be seeing., but sensing.

I think we'd need to break down how the cantrip would work exactly. The way i would invision it would be like hearing movement to sense shape, kinda like daredevil but more basic outline, and using the scent to pinpoint where things are.

what do yall think?

MechaPilot

Explorer
Thing is, the cantrip would use hearing and smell, so one could argue its not sight so it can't be seeing., but sensing.

I think we'd need to break down how the cantrip would work exactly. The way i would invision it would be like hearing movement to sense shape, kinda like daredevil but more basic outline, and using the scent to pinpoint where things are.

what do yall think?

So, sort of like sonar. It basically sounds like a more limited version of the blindsight trait from the Monster Manual.

As a DM, I'd be asking things like the following:
  • What would be the range on it? Are you okay with the risk of being surprised by ranged attacks originating outside that range?
  • Are you okay with being able to hear descriptions given to the group but not acting on your out-of-game knowledge of those descriptions? For example, if there are three doors of different colors, you wouldn't know the colors. Which might be a real impediment if a riddle tells the party which color of door is the only one that's not trapped.
  • What, if anything, can you read? Probably not anything written in ink, charcoal, or chalk. Engravings? That makes sense, but how do you read them? By touch?

rgoodbb

Adventurer

If it works for people with sight it works for you. If a DM is OK with a handwave, there should be no mechanical difference from yourself as a seeing PC. You take the rough with the smooth. Reduction in sight enhances the other senses and if you happen to face a gorgon, then you face its powers.

If my perched raven faced a Basilisk/Medusa then blimey! Stone the Crows!

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
I asked a friend about this and he said blind sense. Its a feat, free if i give up sight (and DM allows), thats a 50/50 chance to essentially sensing things within 15 feet like the cantrip we created in here.

Remove ads