• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Druids and druid crafting options?

Kelly Kellogg

First Post
So, sort of like sonar. It basically sounds like a more limited version of the blindsight trait from the Monster Manual.

As a DM, I'd be asking things like the following:
  • What would be the range on it? Are you okay with the risk of being surprised by ranged attacks originating outside that range?
  • Are you okay with being able to hear descriptions given to the group but not acting on your out-of-game knowledge of those descriptions? For example, if there are three doors of different colors, you wouldn't know the colors. Which might be a real impediment if a riddle tells the party which color of door is the only one that's not trapped.
  • What, if anything, can you read? Probably not anything written in ink, charcoal, or chalk. Engravings? That makes sense, but how do you read them? By touch?

As for the cantrip, in order of questions:

Earlier description was 30 ft, but drops to 5 ft in urband anf underground enviorments

Personally yes i'm okay with the risks.

Yes i'm able and okay to not let out of character game knowledge effect my characters action (at that example, if she heard the riddle, she'd simply go "Kraltch (her name) no see colour for years! Good luck" and pat the closest person on the shoulder.

She USED to see, developed cataracts at an early age. So very very basic orcish, only if its engraved or risen words, because of touch.

Thats how i'd play her

cheeseguy

First Post
Sorry I was too distracted by this awsome concept, had to reread the question. But yeah I see no reason that this wouldn't work with just about any DM as long as it does not create bonuses that are not attributed to extra effects other than the mini flower sprite...

Moving on it's also a way to help enhance the story for your character and also give options for the DM.

Seeing that, as long as the sprite is only used for guidance for your character I don't for see many declining this offer

Sent from my Z963VL using EN World mobile app

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So the way I see this is it is essentially the difference between fluff and crunch. Fluff is just how things appear, but essentially has no impact on the game or how it's played. For example, let's you wanna play a Bridge Troll afflicted with dwarfism. Obviously there's no race or subrace for players to play a troll, let alone a diminutive one. But you can use the stats of a Gnome or Halfling and just call yourself and act like a Bridge Troll with Dwarfism. This has no effect on the game play, as you are essentially just re-skinning existing rules.

I once played a human monk that was 90 years old. There's no way a 90 year old could move like a monk does. But the fact that my character was 90 had no impact on the game mechanics. It didn't benefit my character mechanically. Just because I wanna play Master Roshi, doesn't mean I have to impose penalties to my physical stats. What is this, 2nd or 3rd edition?

Anyways, I would personally say that as long as what you use doesn't give you any mechanical advantage beyond what functioning eyes would provide, it doesn't matter if you wanna claim it's a sonar collar (Like Broadway in the apocalyptic future episode of Gargoyles), if you have seeing-eye sprites, or need to hold a crystal ball up to your forehead. Once you start claiming that you should get advantage on perception rolls for hearing (the sonar collar option), can use your sprites to see around a corner for you, or the crystal ball allows you to see invisible creatures or through illusions, then you are getting into areas that DO require mechanical tweaking to ensure those options are balanced against what the other players in the game can do.

I would avoid the Cantrip and just go with fluff -- you roleplay the character as being Blind without any mechanical advantages or disadvantages. You've spent long enough adjusting to your blindness that it's not a huge hindrance anymore.

Another reason to avoid the Cantrip is... It has V and S components and doesn't even last a minute. Anyone who is wiggling their fingers (even minimally) and repeating a phrase every minute (at the slowest) to every round (the original version) is going to get ridiculously sick of it. If you absolutely must keep the Cantrip, give it an hour of duration or more. It's already expensive enough taking up a Cantrip slot for almost no benefit.

You could also go 24 hour duration ritual, but that takes up a prep slot on some classes.

Remove ads